Thursday, December 21, 2023

Yule!

Happy Yule! from Wikipedia:
In present times adherents of some new religious movements (such as Modern Germanic paganism) celebrate Yule independently of the Christian festival.

As contemporary pagan religions differ in both origin and practice, these representations of Yule can vary considerably despite the shared name. Some Heathens, for example, celebrate in a way as close as possible to how they believe ancient Germanic pagans observed the tradition, while others observe the holiday with rituals "assembled from different sources." Heathen celebrations of Yule can also include sharing a meal and gift-giving.

In most forms of Wicca, this holiday is celebrated at the winter solstice as the rebirth of the Great horned hunter god, who is viewed as the newborn solstice sun. The method of gathering for this sabbat varies by practitioner. Some have private ceremonies at home, while others do so with their covens

Or Happy Winter Solstice. The date of the Winter Solstice is not the same from year to year and is the shortest day of the year. From the date of this solstice onwards the light grows and Spring draws nearer. from Space.com:
This year the Winter Solstice will occur on Dec. 21/22. 2023.

The Winter Solstice, or the December Solstice, is the point at which the path of the sun in the sky is farthest south. At the Winter Solstice, the sun travels the shortest path through the sky resulting in the day of the year with the least sunlight and therefore, the longest night.

In the lead-up to the Winter Solstice, the days become shorter and shorter, then on the evening of the solstice  —  in the Northern Hemisphere occurs annually on the 21st or 22nd of December —  [Astronomical] winter begins, according to a NASA resource. From then onwards the days become increasingly long leading up to the Summer Solstice, or the June Solstice, and the longest day of the year.

This year the Winter Solstice will occur on Dec. 21/22. During the day, the Northern Hemisphere will have about 7 hours and 14 minutes of daylight, marking the shortest day of the year. Then at 10:27 p.m. ET (0327 GMT on Dec. 22), Earth's axis will be tilted the farthest away from the sun.

To be precise, the Winter Solstice marks what is known as the "astronomical winter" —  but don't worry, this doesn’t mean it will be colder than any other winter. The moniker is simply adopted to distinguish it from the meteorological winter.

While the astronomical change of seasons is related to Earth's position around the sun and its axis, the meteorological seasons are marked by the first day of a particular month [and aligned with average temperatures across the seasons].

I observe meteorological seasons, and Winter begins in that reckoning on the first day of December. Waiting until Midwinter to acknowledge the presence of winter never made sense to me.

*******

The Santa here is made like a matryoshka doll, with identical nested Santas. The candle holder was made by my parents one year when I was a child. They often made Christmas presents and always kept one for us. Back then there was a pine cone on the base, but when it failed over time I replaced it with the yarn bit.


18 comments:

  1. Happy Winter Solstice to you & yours. Starting tomorrow, the amount of daylight increases, that is a celebration I can get behind! Cute festive display with your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of the word Yule but didn't know it was a separate holiday. I love learning new things. Happy winter to you also Nita. And I love that candle holder. You have such a great collection of vintage decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astronomical Winter makes sense if you want to hold off Winter a few more days. I love how you have so many decorations made by your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter can't be held off lol Winter will have its way.

      Delete
  4. ...we have a Santa like yours! ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Winter Solstice! Love the matryoshka Santa!! Never heard of or seen one of those. That is so wonderful that your parents made Christmas presents like that! Wow! I like your replacement for the pine cones, too. You have so many family treasures. That is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to keep them and that they survived so many moves. Not the pine cone lol, but mostly.

      Delete
  6. An interesting read, thank you.
    I do like the matryoshka Santa.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tree made the same way. Fun :)

      Delete
  7. Happy winter solstice and Merry Christmas! I like the candle holder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love your doll. (It reminds me that I never got mine out this year, with all the basement chaos. I wonder if I can find them before Christmas!

    I will be leaving today for Christmas with the kidlets and probably not able to blog too much while I'm gone. (I'll do my best!) So, just in case, I send warm wishes for a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I am determined to pass on stuff we didn't take out for Christmas this year. So many memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have tree decorations we don't use every year, because we have sooo many, but the kids don't want them lol They each have some of the old ones already ;)

      Delete