Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Meet Me in St. Louis

Meet Me in Saint Louis (on Max) is an award-winning 1944 musical film starring Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien, Mary Astor, Lucille Bremer, Tom Drake, Leon Ames, Marjorie Main, June Lockhart and Joan Carroll. It takes place over the course of a year, and one section of the film takes place during the Christmas season.

trailer:



The Hollywood Reporter in its review from the film's release:
It is a bit difficult to classify Meet Me in St. Louis. It isn’t exactly a musical, although it has some outstanding musical numbers in it. It isn’t exactly a comedy, although there is a vast deal of comedy in it. Nor is it exactly drama, although it has moving dramatic passages. However, there is no difficulty at all in describing it. Meet Me in St. Louis is completely delightful, homey, warmly human entertainment which has captured a nostalgic charm rarely if ever equalled on the screen.
Slant Magazine says it "remains one of the most vital of musical films." Time Out gives it 5 out of 5 stars and calls it a "musical masterpiece". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

Share a drink-related post and join us at the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering. My "ticket" is a screenshot from the movie showing Judy Garland bringing a tray of drinks in to the party:

11 comments:

  1. ...one that know little about. ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing that film on TV. It was very good and I agree with the critics that it is a fabulous film. Nice way to share a drink with us for T this Tuesday, dear Nita.

    Thanks for worrying about me. I decided to take a break, so am only posting once a week (for T Tuesday) through the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never watched this because I thought it was a musical. Not a fan of musicals. But then people thing my favorite horror movie, "The Wizard of Oz" is a musical, too

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a film that I’ve been meaning/wanting to see all my life! I grew up in St.Louis so it was part of the vibe. But somehow I’ve never seen it. I really should!

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a classic! Has a little bit of everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Rita a classic for sure and people need to see it at least once. Have a very nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another classic i have never seen that i'am putting on my list! Thanks Divers! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched that film last Christmas, and I forget it was set at the holidays. I enjoyed it. I hope you had a great T day Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen this movie and with the exception of Judy Garland I don't know the actors either - at least the names don't sound familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just watched this the other night! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of the films that you want to come on TV on a rainy Winter afternoon! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete