Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Sicilian Method

The Sicilian Method is the 26th book in the Inspector Montalbano mystery series by Andrea Camilleri. I read these as I get them for presents after they've been released in paperback, and they are better read in order as the characters develop through the series. 

from the back of the book:

IN THE NEW NOVEL IN THE TRANSPORTING
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING
INSPECTOR MONTALBANO MYSTERY SERIES,
MONTALBANO FINDS HIS ANSWERS TO
A MURDER IN A THEATRICAL PLAY.

Mimi Augello is visiting his lover when the woman's husband unexpectedly returns to the apartment; he climbs out the window and into the downstairs apartment, but one danger leads to another. In the dark he sees a body lying on the bed. Shortly after, another body is found, and the victim is Carmelo Catalanotti, a director with a cruel reputation.

Are the two deaths connected? Catalanotti scrupulously kept notes on all the actors he worked with, as well as strange notebooks filled with dates and names. Inspector Montalbano finds all of Catalanotti's dossiers and plays, and the notes on his last drama, Dangerous Corner. It is in the theater that the answer lies.
Kirkus Reviews says the author "again combines divinely deadpan drollery with a clever puzzle." Publishers Weekly says, "The blend of farce, sexual shenanigans, and strangely intense community theater intrigues as it amuses."

22 comments:

  1. ... "and they are better read in order as the characters develop through the series. " made me laugh! My teamleader once gave me a crime story to listen to in the car.
    I really thought I´m too dumb to drive a car and listen to a story, but hahaha.... the files were played not chronologically! Hence people who were shot suddenly were back ... others talked plain nonesense... I really had a hard time home and next morning back to work, only then I could admit it´s too complicated, thanks, I really tried hard. He had no idea that on other devices this may happen! We had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TV shows do this in syndication, and if you don't already know the story you're left saying, "Wait, who's that?" and "Didn't he die?" and "She got pregnant? Who's the father?" roflol It's like reading a novel with the chapters out of order. This book series wouldn't be that bad, but still... better in order. Definitely.

      Delete
  2. The Sicilian Method sounds a good read, thanks for the referral. Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy series visited Sicily this past Sunday, so timing is good for matching recipes & good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Googling Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy... I can't watch it, but it sounds like fun. I've been enjoying some food and travel shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime now that I've found them. For a long time all they suggested to me was horror lol I've had to be more proactive in searching and adding things to my watch lists.

      Delete
  3. ..."again combines divinely deadpan drollery with a clever puzzle," what more could you ask for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun series. And there's food, too.

      Delete
  4. I have not read this but sounds very good. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many books in this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some of these writers are taking PD James as the one to beat lol

      Delete
  6. Our library is opening soon, but I still don't believe they have this series. Every time you read a new one, I check with our library. Another great sounding read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some libraries have very slim pickings in their mystery section, I think because they're usually fairly readily available ti buy used. These newer series, though, they're just not as easy to find.

      Delete
  7. They sound like fun reads. And an extensive series with 26 and counting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it that there are so many.

      Delete
  8. I don't think I've read this one, but I do love this series. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but surely I'm working my way through. I'll miss them when there aren't any more new ones.

      Delete
  9. Actors and theater. I think I'd like this series! Thanks for the head's up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these but I have them on my list. I finally read a Donna Leon Venice mystery and really enjoyed it. Maybe I need to get to certain items on my list faster. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Donna Leon series even better. They're a more "literary" read, if that makes sense, and because they're written in English I don't have to wonder how good the translation is.

      Delete
  11. I love book series as you can get to know the characters so well 😁. Thanks for the review! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! It's like you know them :)

      Delete