Saturday, March 27, 2021

The Other End of Time

The Other End of Time is a science fiction novel by Frederick Pohl. This is another of the books I was given by a friend whose science fiction-loving husband recently died. I was touched that she thought of me and have been thoroughly enjoying these books. I hadn't realized this one was the first book in a trilogy until I got to the last page, and the experience was less satisfying than if I had known that going in. The book is interesting with fascinating philosophical elements, but it doesn't work well for me as a stand-alone novel

from the back of the book:

INTERSTELLAR WAR

Signals are received: a crude depiction of creatures pantomiming the cataclysmic destruction of the universe.

Soon after, scientists note unusual radiation emanating from the abandoned Earth-orbital observatory. When a group of scientists and astronauts board the observatory to investigate, they are taken prisoner. An unsuspecting Earth has just become part of a vast interstellar war.

For the human prisoners, this minor skirmish in a vast war becomes a fantastic adventure. The hunters become the hunted the prey the predators, and nothing is as it seems. The only sure thing is that the winners will rule eternity at... The Other End of Time.
*******

Kirkus Reviews concludes a positive review with this: "An impeccably crafted, absorbing, and enjoyable reworking of mostly familiar material that, while satisfyingly self-contained, seems perfectly poised for sequels." Publishers Weekly closes, "The ending is oddly unresolved, unless this is the first volume of a series--which would not be bad news."

22 comments:

  1. Seems like I am always picking a book up at the library and having it be the second or fourth book in a series, drives me nuts. I would like it if they were marked numerically so you know what your getting into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I think the copy I read must've been printed before the others in the series were published.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful gesture of your friend, though! Sad as the "cause" is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may not have been crazy about the book, but it is nice to think of your friend's husband as you read. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he and I had very different views on many things, but science fiction fandom can bring opposites together :)

      Delete
  4. ...I can wait for the end of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like a really good read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever come across the others I'll check them out :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds good. Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know when I see that author that the book is worth checking out.

      Delete
  8. I also prefer to read a series in chronological order. I pass when I can't or try to get the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as important for some longer series, like some of the mystery series I've read that have 20+ books lol, but I don't know of any science fiction trilogies that don't need to be read in order.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely and thoughtful friend you have. Not my cuppa, but she clearly knew you well and valued your friendship. That's just making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so touched. Such a thoughtful kindness.

      Delete
  10. So lovely of your friend to think of you, the book sounds fab! Glad you enjoyed it 😁. Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did enjoy it, just wish I coulda started the 2nd one lol

      Delete
  11. It's too bad the book ended with a cliff-hanger. I know many tv series end their seasons that way. Some that are on the bubble do it to improve their chances of being renewed. You can at least appreciate how sweet your friend was to think of you when she was getting rid of her husband's sci fi books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was thoughtful and generous :) I enjoyed the book, but I wish I'd known it was book #1 when I started lol

      Delete