Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Gathering


The Gathering is the Booker Prize-winning 2007 novel by Anne Enright. There are reviews linked from that Wikipedia article. This one can be painful to read in places as she explores this family.

from the back of the book:
A dazzling writer of international stature, Anne Enright is one of Ireland's most singular voices. Now she delivers The Gathering, a moving, evocative portrait of a large Irish family haunted by the past. The nine surviving children of the Hegarty clan are gathering in Dublin for the wake of the wayward brother, Liam, who drowned in the sea. His sister,l Veronica, collects the body and keeps the dead man company, guarding the secret she shares with him -something that happened in their grandmother's house in the winter of 1968. As Enright traces the line of betrayal ad redemption through three generations, she shows how memories warp and secrets fester, As in all Enright's work, her distinctive intelligence twists the world a fraction, and gives it back to us in a new and unforgettable light.

16 comments:

  1. ...I'm looking forward to when gatherings will be safe again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that'll take a while. I look forward to the time we can count on bread, meat, and eggs being available in the grocery store.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of this book. And it sounds good, but maybe when times are happier. Not sure I can handle to down right now. But I have added to my list. Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I read it because it won the Booker Prize, and I finished it a while back before all this.

      Delete
  3. And don't forget toilet paper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fascinating book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds interesting-thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read it, even though it was painful in places.

      Delete
  6. This sounds right up my alley! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds too dark for me. I'm having trouble getting motivated, much less reading something painful like this sounds. I'm sure you read this before the COVID outbreak, but it is just too much for me right now. I'm binging on Father Dowling Mysteries this weekend. The plots are decent and I can enjoy a bit of fantasy in mystery and mayhem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good I finished it when I did, I think. I've never seen the Father Dowling Mysteries. I'll have to look for them. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Sounds good, she's a great writer. Valerie

    ReplyDelete