Thursday, April 09, 2020

Last Night


Last Night is a short story by Laura van den Berg. You can read it online here. It begins,
I want to tell you about the night I got hit by a train and died.

The thing is — it never happened.

This was many years ago.

I didn’t think about that night, my last night, for a long time and then one day I woke up and it was all I could think about.

Let me try and explain — I’ve spent years cultivating a noisy life. I live in a city riddled with unending construction projects, in an apartment above a bar. I see student after student during office hours; I let their words replace my thoughts. I volunteer at a women’s crisis center in my neighborhood. I listen to the women tell me what’s happened to their lives. Recently, though, silence has snuck in. For one thing, the bar closed the day after Thanksgiving without any warning at all, casting the whole block in quiet.

I blame that shuttered bar for the return of my last night.

I was seventeen and I had been in this place for ten months, receiving treatment for my various attempts to kill myself. My parents had mortgaged their house to keep me there and it was only in my last two months that I agreed to talk to them on the phone and even then it was mostly out of boredom. I was that angry they wanted me to live.

18 comments:

  1. ...even in isolation my life seems so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as much as I'm hurting to go play in a park and as mad as I am about the trump mismanagement, I have The Husband and my sweet little patio, and plenty to read and watch, and online friends who'll listen to me rant, and nobody I know is sick, and on and on... Life is sweet even now :)

      Delete
  2. Well that was a depressing story. Did she just survive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting story, and great accompanying image for it.

    (Note: I have never seen a cemetery with train tracks cutting through it, so my photos from the other day were a first for me. I got lucky that a train came through while I was there, so I could photograph it. I heard the train horn long before it arrived and passed by. There is a fence to keep people from going onto the tracks. But there's an opening at the street crossing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding images for these can be a challenge lol

      The train's right of way has a story behind it, I'll bet. You know the cemetery management was not happy when it happened.

      Delete
  4. I need to shower for class (sigh) and would rather read this. The first few paragraphs have caught my attention. Today I just don't want to go sit at the computer and do school work. It is cloudy and dark and I am home where I could read or play with paint or do something a lot more interesting. At least for my mood. Sorry, don't mean to go onto you. Don't hold it against me, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold it against you? I'll join you! lol It's sunny and 56 F here with a stout breeze, and I've been on the patio this morning watering and trying to train the honeysuckle. I'm having coffee now, and I'm in a better mood than you, so we can trade disgruntlement tales by turns in these days.

      Delete
  5. A little too depressing for me right now

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds rather intriguing....Have a great day, stay safe! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying in, that's my plan. I'll go to the grocery store next week wearing my bandana mask.

      Delete
  7. From what little I read, I'm not sure I want to read this. I want happy, fun, enjoyable. Maybe even laughable. I guess it's because I'm banging my head against the wall when I can't get online.

    Once this crisis is over, I'll send you some screen. No envelope large enough at the moment. Tell me what size frames you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My frames are in a closet waiting for me to match them with photos and prints. I'm not sure which sizes I won't be using... but thanks!

      Delete
    2. The offer will be there anytime, dear.

      Delete
  8. Interesting story! Not sure I'll make it through it though as it's written in the first person narrative using "I" which isn't something I like that much 😁. Wishing you a happy Friday and Weekend! Keep well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete