Thursday, April 16, 2020

Liking What You See: A Documentary

Liking What You See: A Documentary is a 2002 short story by Ted Chiang. You can read it online here. It begins,
"BEAUTY IS THE PROMISE OF HAPPINESS." — Stendhal

Tamera Lyons, first-year student at Pembleton:

I can't believe it. I visited the campus last year, and I didn't hear a word about this. Now I get here and it turns out people want to make calli a requirement. One of the things I was looking forward to about college was getting rid of this, you know, so I could be like everybody else. If I'd known there was even a chance I'd have to keep it, I probably would've picked another college. I feel like I've been scammed.

I turn eighteen next week, and I'm getting my calli turned off that day. If they vote to make it a requirement, I don't know what I'll do; maybe I'll transfer, I don't know. Right now I feel like going up to people and telling them, "Vote no." There's probably some campaign I can work for.

Maria deSouza, third-year student, President of the Students for Equality Everywhere (SEE):

Our goal is very simple. Pembleton University has a Code of Ethical Conduct, one that was created by the students themselves, and that all incoming students agree to follow when they enroll. The initiative that we've sponsored would add a provision to the code, requiring students to adopt calliagnosia as long as they're enrolled.

What prompted us to do this now was the release of a spex version of Visage. That's the software that, when you look at people through your spex, shows you what they'd look like with cosmetic surgery. It became a form of entertainment among a certain crowd, and a lot of college students found it offensive. When people started talking about it as a symptom of a deeper societal problem, we thought the timing was right for us to sponsor this initiative.

The deeper societal problem is lookism. For decades people've been willing to talk about racism and sexism, but they're still reluctant to talk about lookism. Yet this prejudice against unattractive people is incredibly pervasive. People do it without even being taught by anyone, which is bad enough, but instead of combating this tendency, modern society actively reinforces it.

10 comments:

  1. ...I don't know what calliagnosia is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brand name made up just for the story.

      Delete
  2. We are just so full of prejudice aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! Stay safe, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many forms of judging ... even in the made up world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science fiction can sometimes hold a mirror up to help us see just how bad it is.

      Delete