Thursday, April 23, 2020

Man of La Mancha

Man of La Mancha is a 1972 film adaptation of the musical play by the same name. That play is in turn based on the book about Don Quixote by Cervantes who died on this date in 1616. This is my favorite adaptation. I remember when it came out, and it was quite popular through my college years. People are often familiar with it because community theaters often present it (or used to back when I kept up with such things). It's sad and sweet and funny and touching and even inspiring, and the music is delightful.

trailer:



You are well-advised to read the book here or here first if you haven't already. It's a classic, one of The Greats. Or have it read to you compliments of Librivox:

volume 1:




volume 2:



18 comments:

  1. ...these are times to dream those impossible dreans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. especially since windmills cause cancer ;) A worthy battle!

      Delete
  2. I love musicals and I've not seen this so will give it a try, thanks for the recommendation ๐Ÿ˜. I hope your having a lovely week! Keep well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. It's truly a wonderful movie!

      Delete
  3. And now I have the I Am Don Quioxte song running through my head ๐Ÿ˜บ

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful book. Loved the film and the theatre performance, too! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, they are all wonderful :)

      Delete
  5. I have never read the book but that is a good film. Now I have one of the songs in my mind. It is quite a nice pleasure. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've seen that film. I know I read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is very long, but it's definitely worth reading.

      Delete
  7. I saw this many years ago. Impossible dreams...hummm...sounds appropriate for today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have seen Man of LaMacha twice now, it's the only musical I can get Mr Man to go to willingly. It's his favourite.

    ReplyDelete