Sunday, April 26, 2020

A Time to Reap


A Time to Reap is a science fiction novella by Elizabeth Bear. I found it via the Uncanny Magazine Twitter page. I read it online here. It begins,
“This is a true-crime tale?”

Two reporters sharing the shuttle with us, and of course I got the one who hadn’t done her homework. I suppose I should have been flattered that they were there—a Broadway musical spun off the previous year’s multi-player total-immersion virtual reality hit was news, and I’d never acted in anything this big before—but the one who’d attached herself to me was a career fluff-story type who squealed at a higher pitch than my cat.

I couldn’t remember her name. I was confident it wasn’t actually Bambi, but I thought it probably should have been.
...
*******
There's time travel in this one, and that's not my favorite thing. But it's a good story.

14 comments:

  1. ...I always thought that spring was the time to sow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Squealed at a higher pitch than my cat" 😺 But Bambi is a boy's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not when clueless blondes are involved ;)

      Delete
  3. I'll be reading this for the May reading challenge. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it :) Finding online stories that meet the challenges is helping me a lot!

      Delete
  4. Nice photo to go along with the story. I enjoy time travel stories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the photos is more challenging by far than finding the stories lol

      Delete
  5. Ok, I was more attracted to your photo. Sorry. But that saltbox is like my house, and oh I dream of having a barn. For me. For a studio. And all my "stuff". So thanks for sharing the photo. It made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barns make wonderful photos, I think, and remind me of road trips when I was young.

      Delete
  6. This sounds intriguing and have saved the link for later. Thanks, have a good week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. I enjoyed it, time travel notwithstanding ;)

      Delete