Sunday, April 05, 2020

Black-Eyed Women


Black-Eyed Women is a short story by Viet Thanh Nguyen. You can read it online here. It begins,
Fame would strike someone, usually the kind that healthy-minded people would not wish upon themselves, such as being kidnapped and kept prisoner for years, suffering humiliation in a sex scandal, or surviving something typically fatal. These survivors needed someone to help write their memoirs, and their agents might eventually come across me. “At least your name’s not on anything,” my mother once said. When I mentioned that I would not mind being thanked in the acknowledgments, she said, “Let me tell you a story.” It would be the first time I heard this story, but not the last. “In our homeland,” she went on, “there was a reporter who said the government tortured the people in prison. So the government does to him exactly what he said they did to others. They send him away and no one ever sees him again. That’s what happens to writers who put their names on things.”

By the time Victor Devoto chose me, I had resigned myself to being one of those writers whose names did not appear on book covers. His agent had given him a book that I had ghostwritten, its ostensible author the father of a boy who had shot and killed several people at his school. “I identify with the father’s guilt,” Victor said to me. He was the sole survivor of an airplane crash, one hundred and seventy-three others having perished, including his wife and children. What was left of him appeared on all the talk shows, his body there but not much else. The voice was a soft monotone, and the eyes, on the occasions when they looked up, seemed to hold within them the silhouettes of mournful people. His publisher said that it was urgent that he finish his story while audiences still remembered the tragedy, and this was my preoccupation on the day my dead brother returned to me.

My mother woke me while it was still dark outside and said, “Don’t be afraid.”

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Finding a public domain photo for it was fun :)

      Delete
  2. That was a good story

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds dark and like the Khmer Rouge. Not sure I can read dark right now but that photo is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about a ghost-writer working on the life of a man who lost his family to a plane crash. It's less dark than it might seem from the beginning -more like an exploration about how the dead can live on through us. I found it somehow encouraging.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fascinating tale. I went to the link. I did not know it; do they publish stories like this? Now is a good time for reading and I’m going through some books on my shelf. I am also trying to catch up with reading all my blogging friends’ blogs that I missed. Thanks for coming to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a book stack I haven't read yet on my bed-side dresser, but my mind wanders more now...

      Electric Lit is a wonderful website. from their "About" page: "Electric Literature is a nonprofit digital publisher with the mission to make literature more exciting, relevant, and inclusive. We are committed to publishing work that is intelligent and unpretentious, elevating new voices, and examining how literature and storytelling can help illuminate social justice issues and current events. We are particularly interested in writing that operates at the intersection of different cultures, genres, and media.

      Electric Literature began as a quarterly journal in 2009 and became a non-profit in 2014."

      Delete
  5. OH that was a tale ... you do find some of the most interesting tales, stories & films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this one. I'm enjoying finding these short stories after having read mostly novels for decades.

      Delete
  6. Great story! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually wasn't fond of this one. Not sure why, but I didn't care for the message, I guess. However, I can see that others do tend to live on through us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dead can have a huge influence on us, for good or ill.

      Delete