Thursday, August 23, 2018

The Charterhouse of Parma


The Charterhouse of Parma is an 1839 novel by Stendhal. Wikipedia says it tells "the story of an Italian nobleman in the Napoleonic era and later, it was admired by Balzac, Tolstoy, André Gide and Henry James" and "While in some respects it is a "romantic thriller", interwoven with intrigue and adventures, the novel is also an exploration of human nature, psychology, and court politics." You can read it online here. There's a guide for new readers here. It was adapted as an opera in 1939, for film in 1948, for film again in 1964, and twice for foreign television (1981 and 2012).

You can listen to it here, part 1:



part 2:



Again from Wikipedia: "The novel is cited as an early example of realism, a stark contrast to the Romantic style popular while Stendhal was writing. It is considered by many authors to be a truly revolutionary work."

It's been on my TBR shelf for ages, probably decades, and it was time I approached it. I enjoyed The Red and the Black by this same author, so I was hoping to like it and did. That said, I didn't finish it. I did enjoy it -honest- but life is short, this book is long, and I just drifted away from it somehow...

from the book jacket:
The Encyclopedia Britannica has an article. The New York Times calls it "an epic and yet intimate tale of political intrigue and erotic frustration, set in the (largely fictionalized) princely court of Parma during the author's own time" and says, "Almost since the moment it appeared, in 1839, Stendhal's last completed novel has been considered a masterpiece" and praises the translation I read (pictured at the top of the post).

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing us to this book-I like books about history
    I had been thinking about posting about books that I run into that I think are unique, informative, and just interesting reading
    Happy Thursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to read about what you're reading :)

      Delete
  2. I might have to see about the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking I'd have better luck with a movie.

      Delete
  3. I am off to listen to this now. Thanks for the review and the link, dear. I hope it's as good as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. I wish I had wanted to stick with it....

      Delete
    2. You were right. I lost interest quite quickly, even though I was doing other things as I listened to it. Sad, but true.

      Delete
    3. So many books it's best to move on when the interest isn't there, I think. I am sorry the audio wasn't more engaging than the book was.

      Delete
  4. I remember reading this book back in college. That said, I don't really remember the book other than it was very long. Maybe that's the most memorable part of it. :) Happy Friday-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then maybe I got all I needed to just from an _attempt_ to read it lol

      Delete
  5. I see what you mean, even the plot summary is long 😉. Not sure this would hold my attention either. Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There've been periods in my life when the fact that it was that long would've been enough to keep me going. Those days are gone ;)

      Delete
  6. It may be interesting but there's no way I can listen for almost 19 hours. Kudos to anyone who does, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It's very long. I didn't even try the audio version.

      Delete