Saturday, August 25, 2018

Jokester


Jokester is a 1956 short story by Isaac Asimov. It's one of the Multivac stories, and this one is about a master scientist whose current project involves an attempt to understand humor. I remember reading this in junior high school in an anthology of Asimov's short stories. You can't ever go wrong re-reading Asimov, and if you've never read his short stories I envy you just a bit. You can read this one online here. It begins:
Noel Meyerhof consulted the list he had prepared and chose which item was to be first. As usual, he relied mainly on intuition.

He was dwarfed by the machine he faced, though only the smallest portion of the latter was in view. That didn't matter. He spoke with the offhand confidence of one who thoroughly knew he was master.

"Johnson," he said, "came home unexpectedly from a business trip to find his wife in the arms of his best friend. He staggered back and said, 'Max! I'm married to the lady so I have to. But why you?'"

Meyerhof thought: Okay, let that trickle down into its guts and gurgle about a bit.

And a voice behind him said, "Hey."

Meyerhof erased the sound of that monosyllable and put the circuit he was using into neutral. He whirled and said, "I'm working. Don't you knock?"

He did not smile as he customarily did in greeting Timothy Whistler, a senior analyst with whom he dealt as often as with any. He frowned as he would have for an interruption by a stranger, wrinkling his thin face into a distortion that seemed to extend to his hair, rumpling it more than ever.

Whistler shrugged. He wore his white lab coat with his fists pressing down within its pockets and creasing it into tense vertical lines. "I knocked. You didn't answer. The operations signal wasn't on."

Meyerhof grunted. It wasn't at that. He'd been thinking about this new project too intensively and he was forgetting little details.

And yet he could scarcely blame himself for that. This thing was important.

He didn't know why it was, of course. Grand Masters rarely did. That's what made them Grand Masters; the fact that they were beyond reason. How else could the human mind keep up with that ten-mile-long lump of solidified reason that men called Multivac, the most complex computer ever built?

Meyerhof said, "I am working. Is there something important on your mind?"

6 comments:

  1. This sounds familiar. I have a book of Asimov's short stories, so I suspect I've read it. I agree, he is one of the greatest sci-fi writers of the 20th century. He is still influencing science experiments today, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a classic. He made a big impression on me.

      Delete
  2. Asimov is a classic. I don't remember this story, and thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may remember it once you get to the end. I didn't remember this title but remembered it once I got into it.

      Delete
  3. thanks for the memories! I read this author in school too-thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such fond memories of reading science fiction when I was in high school :)

      Delete