Friday, August 17, 2018

Moontide

Moontide is a 1942 crime film, a type of precursor to film noir. It stars Jean Gabin, Ida Lupino, Thomas Mitchell and Claude Rains. The cast is wonderful. I'm particularly a fan of both Gabin and Rains. Gabin hated our studio system so much he took himself back to France and focused his career there.

via Youtube:

>

The New York Times in a review at the time of the film's release, opens with this:
The strapping masculine charm of tough Jean Gabin, oft-time called "the Spencer Tracy of French pictures," which heretofore has been limited to his native Gallic films, is now being wholesaled to American audiences by Twentieth Century-Fox in the actor's first Hollywood venture, "Moontide," which came last night to the Rivoli. And "wholesaled" is just the participle, for seldom has an actor's frank allure been quite as deliberately and as obviously dished up in amplitude as is Mr. Gabin's strange enchantment in this ponderously moody film.

8 comments:

  1. Never heard of Gabin or this film, but I am a fan of Claude Rains. Might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He isn't well-known here. His Hollywood career was unsuccessful, but he was a big star in France.

      Delete
  2. I found this film rather unusual. One thing I've noticed since forever about the old films is how few opening credits there are and how this is only ONE producer. Today, there are exec producers, producers, co-producers, and the list goes on and one. Thanks for not just the review, but for embedding this so I could watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange sitting through those opening credits these days, when everybody and his brother and every company they know seems to get on-screen credit. I don't understand how that works.

      Delete
  3. Not familiar with this one-thanks for the referal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabin is definitely not well-enough known. This is different from most crime films and noir I've seen, and I credit his role.

      Delete
  4. An interesting storyline and I see that Gabin starred in quite a few Maigret films, I wouldn't mind seeing them too 😁. Happy Sunday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen his Maigret, but I'll check him out once I finish the Bruce Cremer version.

      Delete