Monday, September 04, 2023

Red Desert

Red Desert is a 1964 Italian-language drama film directed by Michelangelo Antonioni and starring Monica Vitti and Richard Harris. It won the Golden Lion at the 25th Venice Film Festival. Another from my Max watchlist.

trailer:



The British Film Institute calls it Antonioni's "mid-career masterpiece". The New Yorker calls it the director's "most mysterious and awe-inspiring work." Slant Magazine says, "Red Desert is a distillation of Antonioni’s preferred themes and imagery: alienation, anxiety, modern life, and industrialized landscapes." Senses of Cinema concludes its consideration with this: "With each new viewing of an Antonioni film, new complexities and connections are revealed. If we learn one thing from watching his work, it is that alienation — possibly even more present now than it was then — is a multifaceted state of being." The Guardian gives it a full 5 stars and describes it as a "fascinating experimental movie about the malaise of industrial society". 97% of Rotten Tomatoes critics give it a positive review.

11 comments:

  1. ...I wonder if the mud at Burning Man is red?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen video and photos of the Burning Man site, and that's a _lot_ of mud!

      Delete
  2. I would like to see this one! Have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The list of Golden Lion films is fun.

      Delete
  3. Another Max. Alas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I am up for malaise and subtitles--rofl! Hope you are doing well and had a nice Labor Day weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're re-watching Ted Lasso, binging it all day and the day before... I'd forgotten the characters' evolution over the course of the series.

      Delete
    2. I have not seen Ted Lasso. If you are re-watching it maybe I should finally give it a go. ;)

      Delete
  5. It´s such a wonderful language! And since I don´t understand a single word, after a while I forget I read English but watch. I tried this with a French movie... not a chance! When you still understand words, you have to really read to get what´s going on. I switched to German.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I just read the English subtitles, that being my only language, but I get so caught up I forget I'm reading lol

      Delete