Thursday, September 28, 2023

Cast a Deadly Spell

Cast a Deadly Spell (on Max) is a 1991 horror fantasy detective film with Fred Ward, Julianne Moore, David Warner, and Clancy Brown. This movie combines two genres –the eldritch tales of H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos and film noir mysteries. I loved this one. Just the tiniest touch of humor and a lack of gore make it quite the fun watch for the season. There is a sequel.

via YouTube:



Empire Online gives it a positive review and calls it "An appealing cross-genre idea". Bloody Disgusting calls it a gem.

*******

18 comments:

  1. This sounds intriguing. Too bad I don't have Max.

    Did you see the outtakes of the presidential debate last night? I laughed harder than if I had been to a comedy club. In fact, most of it was funnier than a comedy club and there wasn't even a two drink minimum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch the debate but have been looking at the video outtakes. Tacky and ignorant by turns. Not that any of it matters, since Trump will get the nomination. It's a sad state of affairs.

      Delete
  2. This sounds good. Must see if I can get it here! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. It's bizarre how hard it is to find some things streaming :(

      Delete
  3. This sounds interesting. That's sure a lot of labels for what it is though. :) Happy Thursday Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...eldritch tales is a new term for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never seen it, but I'll look for it. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A different kind of approach. I hope you like it.

      Delete
  7. It is already coming to that time of year that I pass on the horror or creep movies--lol! You are not the only one--hehe! Enjoy them all. This sounds like a better one, but I would still pass. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not straight horror, so there's that ;)

      Delete
  8. I like the sound of this especially the no gore

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds a good cast.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete