Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Belle de Jour

Belle de Jour (on Max) is a 1967 psychological drama film directed by Luis Buñuel, and starring Catherine Deneuve. The film is about a young woman who spends her midweek afternoons as a high-class prostitute, while her husband is at work. Sometimes I think these 60s French films have too much in common and run together in my mind, and then I come across one like this. Wikipedia says,
Belle de Jour is one of Buñuel's most successful and famous films. It was Deneuve's second acclaimed success after The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. It won the Golden Lion and the Pasinetti Award for Best Film at the Venice Film Festival in 1967.


trailer:



*******

16 comments:

  1. Another one I don't know. You do find some good or at least interesting films Nita. Happy mid-week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a sucker for film lists lol

      Delete
  2. I wish I had Max sometimes -- I'd watch this one. I've always liked Deneuve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our yearly subscription ends I'm going to drop it for Criterion. Sooo many services!

      Delete
  3. I'll put this one of the list but with subtitles it could take me quite a long time to get to it. Eyes aren't what they used to be--lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these aren't ever available dubbed, and my French is extremely limited. "Bonjour" ;)

      Delete
  4. Another film I have seen! Yessss! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely without Himself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Husband would've been bored silly I think.

      Delete
  6. Sounds complicated. I could never betray Ingo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never do most of what I see in movies lol

      Delete
  7. This sounds like another film I saw years ago. I am glad this one made an impact on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about making an impact, but at least I find it distinguishable from the others in my memory.

      Delete
  8. I do know of Catherine Deneuve, but not this film.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete