Thursday, May 11, 2023

Window Water Baby Moving

Window Water Baby Moving is a 1959 Stan Brakhage experimental short film. The film documents the birth of the director's first child and is one of his best-known works.

via YouTube (but it's age-restricted and you'll have to click through to view the movie):



Image Journal concludes,
Window Water Baby Moving exists, like all the best works of cinema, as a record of love. It reminds me that such tender, romantic, passionate, and quiet love, even if it changes, even if it goes away, has existed. And in that reminding—the reminding that is, for me, the heart of cinema—it manages to exist in a kind of continual, mysterious, and eternal present.
TCM has information.

20 comments:

  1. ...I'm not old enough to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that woman was "brave" to be filmed while giving birth for the whole world to see. I don't think I'd have wanted to be filmed when I gave birth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good, will watch it later. Have a nice day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating and gross at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to life.
    It's incredible... life.
    love... yes
    :-)) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting. I also went back and watched the Donovan videos. Great memories and great songs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there, done that...but not with close up videos! LOL!
    Truly nothing more miraculous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LIke Tom I am not old enough ;-) Youtubed it. Oh, my. To all women who went through that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yes, everybody has to go through YouTube to see it. That's just how it's set up.

      Delete
  9. I was present when a friend had her baby on my couch in my family room in MO. The EMTs were called, but she was already starting to have the baby when they got there. The baby was breech and the cord was wrapped around his neck. Thank goodness the EMTs were there, because I had NO idea what to do for her, That's the most I ever want to see of a live birth. I took photos of the mother and son after they were in the hospital, but it didn't even occur to me to take photos before or during the birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an emergency that would definitely seem inappropriate for video. Yikes!

      Delete
  10. This one sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete