Sunday, May 14, 2023

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a 1986 teen comedy film I watched because it was on a list of top 10 1980s movies and it was one of the two I'd not seen. These "teen" movies and "coming of age" films just don't appeal to me, but -hey!- I'm willing to give anything a chance. It was more fun than The Breakfast Club and was definitely cute, but one of the best 10 from the '80s? What can I say? Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy. Everybody _else_ seemes to like it. I watched it on Paramount+.

trailer:



Spirituality and Practice closes a positive review with this:
Ferris Bueller was the Huck Finn of the 1980s. To be a teenager is to be vulnerable, raw, and anxious as well as confused about family, school, friends, and what tomorrow will bring. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a fantasy that allows us to experience the mastery, the glory, the fun, and the power of being in control of our destiny for at least one carefree day of total freedom.
Empire Online has a glowing 5 out of 5 star review and concludes,
No other teen comedy either in the 80s or beyond would serve up such an innocent, generous, upbeat cheerfulness that would become unthinkable during the cynical 90s or in the slew of OOs teen movie homages. Life, as Ferris famously remarks, moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around you might miss it. Ferris Bueller is one of the things you should definitely make some time for.
Roger Ebert opens a positive review with this: "Here is one of the most innocent movies in a long time, a sweet, warm-hearted comedy about a teenager who skips school so he can help his best friend win some self-respect." Rotten Tomatoes has an audience consensus score of 92%.

14 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, not my cup of tea, I'll pass! Happy Mother#s Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. It's not my "thing" either.

      Delete
  2. ...I have heard of it and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fun movie. Perfect for mindless entertainment

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw it on TV years ago. It was so "interesting" I don't even remember what it was about. Does that tell you anything?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's best of the80s either -- but it is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw it long ago. Wondered what all the accolades were about. It is cute enough for what it is--but mindless teen entertainment that makes fun of adults, of course. I'm surprised it is still quite popular all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears to have made a place for itself in each generation.

      Delete
  7. This movie appears about twice a year on our TV movie network (non streaming). I keep telling myself I should see without all the commercials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still watch some things with commercials...

      Delete