Friday, May 05, 2023

Black Angel (1946)

Black Angel is a 1946 film noir directed as his final feature by Roy William Neill and starring Dan Duryea, June Vincent and Peter Lorre, with Broderick Crawford. The director died of a heart attack at the age of 59 later that same year. I saw this movie recommended on a list of little-known films noir one should make time for, so I made time. Peter Lorre is always an attraction.

via YouTube:



Slant Magazine says it "plumbs a world rife with deviousness, desperation, greed, and betrayal..." TCM has information. DVD Talk says, "If not a classic, it's still a good picture that provided Dan Duryea with a chance at stardom, for the first time playing the pivotal role..."

18 comments:

  1. ...ah, the year that I was born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this, but it does sound good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I'm glad to've come across it.

      Delete
  3. I really like Peter Lorre so I will watch this. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good. Thanks, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter Lorre is an interesting actor. Well, was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'll watch a film if he is in it.

      Delete
  6. I don't know this film, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched it. What I love about the old movies was that love could win in the end and the bad guys always got caught (or gave themselves up because they learned the true meaning of love--lol!). I grew up watching these types of movies and shows like Leave It To Beaver and Father Knows Best...no wonder the optimist in me still wants to believe that love conquers all and people are basically good. Even if it is not realistic in this world 100% of the time. I still hope for 90%. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old movies were on in the afternoons from 3:30-5 and on weekend nights (Friday? Saturday? I forget) at 10:30. So many good and bad movies lol

      Delete
  8. This actually sounds good, even though I haven't heard of most of the actors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a film I know, but it does sound a good one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete