Monday, May 15, 2023

Personal Shopper (2016)

Personal Shopper is a 2016 award-winning supernatural psychological thriller film starring Kristen Stewart as a young American woman in Paris who works as a personal shopper for a celebrity and tries to communicate with her deceased twin brother. I had trouble maintaining attention to it, I think because I expected more "thriller" and less haunting atmosphere. I should re-watch it. It got great reviews. I watched it on Tubi.

trailer:



Roger Ebert's site gives it a glowing 4-star review that concludes,
if you want to see a movie that offers thoughtful meditations on materialism and mortality, includes a couple of sequences so quietly hypnotic and stylish that Hitchcock himself would have bowed down in sheer admiration, and is centered around what is sure to be one of the best performances to grace movie screens this year, “Personal Shopper” is an incredible work that will continue to haunt you, long after it is over.

The Guardian says, "Stewart is outstanding as a haunted fashion-biz assistant in Olivier Assayas’s enigmatic ghost story and quarterlife character study." Criterion calls it a "melancholy ghost story" and "A stirring depiction of grief in the form of a psychological thriller".

14 comments:

  1. ...if you had trouble maintaining attention to it, I wouldn't even try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but now that we both know what to expect we'll find paying attention easy!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting premise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a different take on it. They do audiences a disservice I think in calling it a thriller.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a thoughtful one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very good! Thanks, have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep predicting rain, but rain hasn't come. Our temps are 10 degrees above normal. It's an interesting week :)

      Delete
  5. Kristen Stewart is usually very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you had trouble watching it, I will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only had trouble because I had the wrong idea of what it was and thought it was a thriller. Once I realized... so that's why I explained it's not a thriller ;)

      Delete