Wednesday, May 03, 2023

The Breakfast Club

The Breakfast Club is a 1985 coming-of-age comedy drama. I watched it because it was on a list of top 10 films of the 1980s and I'd seen all but two. This was one I hadn't seen, and it was available on Amazon Prime. Now I've seen it. I have to say I think maybe I'm too old to be watching it for the first time. My opinion isn't shared by most; it gets great reviews and appears on multiple "best" lists.

trailer:



Roger Ebert says, "The performances are wonderful, but then this is an all-star cast". Empire Online calls it "iconic" and calls it "the definitive '80s teen movie". Spirituality and Practice says it "Offers a breakthrough portrait of the pain and miunderstanding which result from demeaning social hierarchies set up by teenagers." Rotten Tomatoes has a 92% audience consensus score.

16 comments:

  1. ...I remember hearing about it, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this back in the late 90s or maybe early 2000s on TV. I was amazed at how young Hall and Nelson looked. Even Gleason aged after the film came out. For such a promising cast, it seems not a single one of them is making movies, or even TV shows any more. I think that film must have been a flash in the pan or a fluke. Not as good as it was hyped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still well-appreciated by the film critics. It left me untouched. Estevez is directing now. Gleason died in 2006 of lung cancer :( Hall continues to be active in film and tv, though I've not seen any of his recent work, as is the case with Judd Nelson and Sheedy. Molly Ringwald seems to be more active on TV. I had to look all that up lol since I couldn't remember seeing them in anything else and was curious. I just don't watch current popular tv shows... and I haven't seen a film in a theater since the pandemic struck. I may not go to a movie theater ever again lol

      Delete
  3. This wasn't really my cup of tea, either! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has a had-to-be-there feel to me...

      Delete
  4. I guess I am too old, too. I have trouble with th 'good old days!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try, but yeah, this kind of movie doesn't appeal to me.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen it. The story didn't appeal to me back when I was younger and I don't think it will appeal to me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only it hadn't been on that list! lol

      Delete
  6. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were too old to see it for the first time. I've seen it a few times but not for about a zillion years. When it came out I was a new teacher, so even though I can't say it's my favorite film; I could relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's just been too long for me...

      Delete
  7. I still watch this from time to time.

    ReplyDelete