Saturday, June 11, 2022

The House of Asterion

The House of Asterion is a 1947 short story by Jorge Luis Borges. Borges was an Argentine short-story writer, essayist, poet and translator. The Wikipedia article on his life and work is interesting. His eyesight began failing when he was in his early 30s, and he was completely blind by the time he was 55. His religious questioning towards the end of his life is thought-provoking. He died of liver cancer on June 14, 1986, at the age of 86. You can read this story online here or you can listen to it at the bottom of this post. It begins,
And the queen gave birth to a child who was called Asterion.

I know they accuse me of arrogance, and perhaps misanthropy, and perhaps of madness. Such accusations (for which I shall exact punishment in due time) are derisory. It is true that I never leave my house, but it is also true that its doors (whose numbers are infinite) (footnote: The original says fourteen, but there is ample reason to infer that, as used by Asterion, this numeral stands for infinite.) are open day and night to men and to animals as well. Anyone may enter. He will find here no female pomp nor gallant court formality, but he will find quiet and solitude. And he will also find a house like no other on the face of this earth. (There are those who declare there is a similar one in Egypt, but they lie.) Even my detractors admit there is not one single piece of furniture in the house. Another ridiculous falsehood has it that I, Asterion, am a prisoner. Shall I repeat that there are no locked doors, shall I add that there are no locks? Besides, one afternoon I did step into the street; If I returned before night, I did so because of the fear that the faces of the common people inspired in me, faces as discolored and flat as the palm of one's hand. the sun had already set ,but the helpless crying of a child and the rude supplications of the faithful told me I had been recognized. The people prayed, fled, prostrated themselves; some climbed onto the stylobate of the temple of the axes, others gathered stones. One of them, I believe, hid himself beneath the sea. Not for nothing was my mother a queen; I cannot be confused with the populace, though my modesty might so desire. The fact is that that I am unique.
...


14 comments:

  1. ...another one unknown to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the author but not this story.

      Delete
  2. An then I had went to read the myth about the Minotuar and now it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to read the old myths a lot. I should get down one of those books (hmmm, did I keep those? The kids may've gotten those. I can look online for them.) and reread them.

      Delete
  3. I don't know that I'd ever heard of Borges, much less the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was familiar with the author but not this story.

      Delete
  4. Wow great post. I love the read the old myths. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should re-read those old myths. It's been a while.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read a lot of South American literature. I should read more from that continent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to read authors from different countries.

      Delete
  6. What an interesting story. Not one I would have ever considered reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You find amazing ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's fun finding modern works available free online. I'd never see them otherwise.

      Delete