Thursday, June 09, 2022

Pale Flower

Pale Flower is a 1964 Japanese film noir yakuza movie. A tragic story -it's film noir, after all.

via Internet Archive:



Criterion calls it a "cool, seductive jewel of the Japanese New Wave". High on Films says it's "Shinoda’s first masterpiece, a film that chronicled the existential dread of a middle-aged yakuza". Senses of Cinema says, "Pale Flower/Kawaita hana is both a genre movie and an art movie. It is a contemporary yakuza film, made at the start of the golden age of the genre (which lasted from 1963 to 1973)".

Roger Ebert has this on his list of Great Movies and says,
"Pale Flower" is one of the most haunting noirs I've seen, and something more; in 1964 it was an important work in an emerging Japanese New Wave of independent filmmakers, an exercise in existential cool. It involves a plot, but it is all about attitude.
Rotten Tomatoes has both critics and audience consensus scores of 91%.

16 comments:

  1. Very dark, very bleak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe while Himself watches the basketball playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize basketball was still in progress.

      Delete
  3. Probably not, but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to take it easy today from an injection in my back yesterday. So, I can watch this later. Thanks and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you recover quickly. We took the one non-rainy day we've had during this staycation week and went to the zoo.

      Delete
  5. I couldn't get past the beginning. So very dark. I am needing happier things at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brighter, happier films seem harder to come by. I forget if you like musicals, but that'd be my suggestion :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds very interesting. It is so interesting to watch foreign films and how they reflect their society and time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can do subtitles. Foreign films show me a lot about different times and places.

      Delete
  7. For some reason, this doesn't interest me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on a list and then saw it available online :) I couldn't resist lol

      Delete