Saturday, June 18, 2022

Alice 42


from Chapter 12 Alice's Evidence of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland:
At this moment the King, who had been for some time busily writing in his note-book, cackled out ‘Silence!’ and read out from his book, ‘Rule Forty-two. All persons more than a mile high to leave the court.

Everybody looked at Alice.

I’m not a mile high,’ said Alice.

‘You are,’ said the King.

‘Nearly two miles high,’ added the Queen.

‘Well, I shan’t go, at any rate,’ said Alice: ‘besides, that’s not a regular rule: you invented it just now.’

‘It’s the oldest rule in the book,’ said the King.

‘Then it ought to be Number One,’ said Alice.

The King turned pale, and shut his note-book hastily. ‘Consider your verdict,’ he said to the jury, in a low, trembling voice.

14 comments:

  1. ...rules are made to be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Alice is talking to the Republicans 😺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and a fabulous 42

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at finding them like this.

      Delete
  4. Look at that. In a gook published decades before the hitchhiker's guide there is even a 42 reference. Maybe all these people are onto something and I am ignorant about it. Smile. happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting random number, isn't it, out of all the numbers he could've used :)

      Delete
  5. Such a charming and fun book! Happy weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice memories. We watched the movie on a tiny Laptop on island Rügen, my Mum (on her last holiday), Bro and I.
    She was dying of cancer and yet we found moments to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful memories. Laughter is important, especially in times like those.

      Delete
  7. I always love it when you find a 42. I have never read Alice in Wonderland, but have picked up the gist of it from others who make art that refers to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice in Wonderland is a delightful book! I still have the copy I had when I was little and have re-read it several times.

      Delete