Thursday, June 30, 2022

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a 1993 animated movie. It stars Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Abe Vigoda, Stacy Keach, Dick Miller, and Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Don't let it fool you. This is a serious character study. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



The Verge has a positive review and says it's "surprisingly complex in its characterization of its protagonist." Roger Ebert's site has a glowing review. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 85% and an even higher audience score. Empire Online gives it 5 out of 5 stars.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry, I am not a batman fan! Have a great July, look after yourself! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of us are lol including both The Husband who grew up with the comic books and despised the campy tv series and me who got a big kick out of that tv show.

      Delete
  2. ...I've always thought that Efrem Zimbalist Jr was an interesting name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great cast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And Mark Hamill is the best of all the Jokers.

      Delete
  4. It would be worth watching for the cast alone. Too bad I don't have HBO, much less HBO Max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have HBO. I'm not sure it's available except with a cable/satellite package, but we get HBO Max as one of our streaming services. I have a full watch list there lol

      Delete
  5. I didn't know about all these cartoon superhero films and shows until recently. I haven't watched any, and probably won't, but maybe if we get a rainy spell. Hope your day is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is based on the animated tv series, which is also good. The animated series has shorter episodes if you ever want to dip your toe in but don't want to commit to a feature-length film.

      Delete
  6. I was never a batman fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great example of judging a movie too soon. I would never be interested in a movie like this, and yet that cast! Now I'm interested!!

    ReplyDelete