Tuesday, June 21, 2022

The Giant Wisteria

The Giant Wisteria is an 1891 short story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. You can read it online here or here or have it read to you at the bottom of this post. It begins,
"Meddle not with my new vine, child! See! Thou hast already broken the tender shoot! Never needle or distaff for thee, and yet thou wilt not be quiet!"

The nervous fingers wavered, clutched at a small carnelian cross that hung from her neck, then fell despairingly.

"Give me my child, mother, and then I will be quiet!"

"Hush! hush! thou fool-some one might be near! See-there is thy father coming, even now! Get in quickly!"

She raised her eyes to her mother's face, weary eyes that yet had a flickering, uncertain blaze in their shaded depths.

"Art thou a mother and hast no pity on me, a mother? Give me my child!"

Her voice rose in a strange, low cry, broken by her father's hand upon her mouth.

"Shameless!" said he, with set teeth. "Get to thy chamber, and be not seen again to-night, or I will have thee bound!"

She went at that, and a hard-faced serving woman followed, and presently returned, bringing a key to her mistress.

"Is all well with her-and the child also?"

"She is quiet, Mistress Dwining, well for the night, be sure. The child fretteth endlessly, but save for that it thriveth with me."

The parents were left alone together on the high square porch with its great pillars, and the rising moon began to make faint shadows of the young vinc leaves that shot up luxuriantly around them: moving shadows, like lit-tie stretching fingers, on the broad and heavy planks of the oaken floor.

"It groweth well, this vine thou broughtest me in the ship, my husband."

...
*******
Please join me a beverage of your choice -mine's hot tea:

and see what the other T Stands for Tuesday bloggers are sharing.

16 comments:

  1. I enjoy the short stories you find. I just finished the Wiki article on Gilman. She was certainly ahead of her time. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm off to read about the giant wisteria. I hope it's in boom. Happy first day of summer to you (although you've been warm for months so I suppose it's not as exciting as it is here in the chilly north) and happy T day to you also. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...wisteria has a way of taking over things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a strange story, I'm looking forward to reading the rest! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling that wisteria vine will be taking over not just that porch, but everything else. I'm off to read the rest of it, but first will join you and your amazing pink (Fiesta ware??) cup and saucer full of tea for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the very intriguing suggestion. I read one of CPG's books a long time ago when I was trying to grasp the history of the women's movement. Just thinking about the women's movement right now is painful, but I think I'll read the story anyway.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting we had wisteria at the woods home and really loved it-but it was allot of work to keep under control Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do find interesting items!
    https://twitter.com/NotACaptainKirk/status/1539194817023987712?s=20&t=ME6l90etIPG0b_raOLf4Lw

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting excerpt from the story Divers.. I love how it is overflowing with descriptive words..my Grandmother had a lovely wisteria vine that smelled heavenly when in bloom.. If she left the windows open it would perfume her whole house... I have yet to be able to get one to grow for me.. Happy happy T day! Hugs ! deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story has peeked my curiosity now. Thanks for sharing it along with your pretty pink cup and saucer. happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is rather strange... I used to have wisteria in the garden at our old house, it was beautiful, and I'm still thinking whether I should plant one here. That's a really nice tea cup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! It's bedtime now but I'll come back to this! Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love wisteria! Your cup of tea looks delicious.
    Happy tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like wisteria. That tea and cookie looks so good. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd give anything to be able to grow wisteria successfully -- giant or not!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We studied her at Uni, she wrote some strange things - The Yellow Wallpaper etc. I have a friend with wisteria in her garden, it's one of my favourite things but I can't seem to grow it here. Sorry for my lateness. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete