Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Philadephia Story

The Philadelphia Story is a 1940 romantic comedy starring Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, and James Stewart. I'm not a fan of romantic comedies, but a classic is a classic. It's hilarious! It had me laughing out loud.

Although all the attention seems to be on Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart, my favorite in the film is Virginia Weidler. She's a delight! She was a popular child actor but retired from film when she was 16 years old. She married and had 2 children. She had a heart ailment and died of a heart attack at age 41. There's a Remembrance Society that celebrates her legacy. Here's one of my favorite scenes from this movie:



I watched this film on HBO Max.

trailer:



BBC says,
Eighty years after its release, The Philadelphia Story's grace, wit, and sheer romanticism doesn't just mean it stands out as one of the best films to emerge from the classic Hollywood era, but that it also might be the definitive romantic comedy, too. That's if it's even a romantic comedy in the first place. ... some people believe that The Philadelphia Story is a screwball comedy, rather than romantic comedy, as it uses various tropes of the sub-genre ... Even that's up for debate, though. By the start of 1941 the screwball genre was already in decline, as the tastes of audiences were changing thanks to World War Two. At the same time, The Philadelphia Story's dialogue is much less quickfire, and it has a sentimentality, sincerity – and, some might even say, sophistication – that sets it apart from other screwball films.

Filmsite calls it "an intelligent, sophisticated, classic romantic comedy-farce (part screwball) of love and marriage, human growth and class distinctions." Slant Magazine closes by calling it "a studio picture far deeper and richer than its whimsical surface style might lead you to believe. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

20 comments:

  1. Some of them do strike the funny bone! It takes me back and reminds me of my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James Steward! Oh, I hear a bell ring and an angel gets it´s wings!
    I "love" this man and ..... obviously in every movie he is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "Harvey" is my favorite of his.

      Delete
  3. This is an all-time favorite. No many how often I see it, I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched this last winter again. I don't know if I'd give it 100%, but I would still give it high marks. It is a fun film, and a lasting one too. Happy rest of your weekend Nita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way Rotten Tomatoes works is that 100% means 100% of reviewers gave it a positive rating. So it doesn't have to be flawless. So few films are...

      Delete
  5. How can one go wrong with Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and of course Katharine Hepburn. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a film which I liked. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will watch anything with Jimmy Stewart in it--and have seen this more than once over the years. Katherine Hepburn is also a favorite of mine. The old screwball comedies were always fun, too. This was a bit more serious but definitely a classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's hard to beat. The cast is perfect, isn't it. I read about how sometimes the cast members in various movies weren't the first choice and wonder how movies would've turned out with different casts lol

      Delete
  8. A good movie, some of the melodramatics make me wonder if people really behaved that way in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Times change, but sometimes I think they don't change that much.

      Delete