Tuesday, June 07, 2022

Captains Courageous

Captains Courageous is an award-winning 1937 coming of age drama film based on the Rudyard Kipling book by the same name. It stars Freddie Bartholomew, Spencer Tracy, Lionel Barrymore, Melvyn Douglas, Mickey Rooney, and John Caradine. I watched it on HBO Max, though I'd seen it more than once on television over the years, and I have posted it to the blog before.

trailer:



Filmsite says,
One of cinema's greatest classic adventure stories is director Victor Fleming's Captains Courageous (1937). ... The classic MGM, coming-of-age children's film acquired four Academy Award nominations ... with Spencer Tracy taking home his very first Best Actor Oscar (he experienced back-to-back wins when he also won Best Actor the following year for...
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 94%. It's listed in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

Here's a screenshot from early in the film to share with the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering:



though I'm still on staycation and not doing my usual blog visiting. This week is filled with rain, so all those outdoor outings we were planning (zoo, Botanic Gardens, etc.) will not happen.

8 comments:

  1. ...I remember the named, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites. I cry every time. Ye- ho little fish don't cry, don't cry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Spencer Tracey. Dam's Rib is one of my favorites with him, as well as Guess Who Is Coming to Dinner. I might have seen this film years ago; I'm not sure, but I would love one of those ice cream floats. Happy T day Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's definitely a winner. I haven't seen it in years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another film I have never seen! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to ice cream floats or milkshakes ... happy staycation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am such a poor T Tuesday host, dear Nita. My sincere apologies. I have been late all week with everyone. I have heard of this film, but never saw it.

    I'll have a milkshake and hoe the weather improves so you can share at least a part of your staycation in sunshine. The sun is finally shining here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one day of sunshine and went to the zoo hoorah! Today is our last staycation day, and the weather looks pretty. Maybe the park? :)

      Delete