Sunday, January 16, 2022

The Naked Sun

image from isfdb.org


The Naked Sun is a 1957 science fiction/mystery novel by Isaac Asimov. It's the 2nd book in his robot series. These are fun and easy to read, and don't need to be read in order.

from the back of the book:
A WORLD OF ROBOTS
Elijah Bailey was NOT prejudiced; he knew robots were not the terrifying menace imagined by the billions of Earthmen huddled in the safety of their completely enclosed cities.

Robots were ... tools, nothing more. Yet he could not help feeling uncomfortable on this planet where not only were the robots permitted to roam free, and in plain sight, but the people themselves thought nothing whatsover of stepping outside of the safety of their houses at any time of the day or night.

To a man raised in the womb of Earth, the very thought of open spaces were abhorent. But Lije Bailey found himself actually forced into the open air ... and in the company of a hated robot.

22 comments:

  1. Asimov was a brilliant writer if you like the Robot series you should look for Nightfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asimov was one of the first science fiction writers I found. A genius!

      Delete
  2. ...isn't the sun always naked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember if I read this or not. Maybe time to revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. M. has this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound intriguing. Especially now that robots are far more everywhere than maybe even Asimov imagined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These robots are far beyond what we have, yes! I wish he could see us today and tell us what he thinks.

      Delete
  6. I need to read some Isaac Asimov sometime. There are just too many good things out there to read and life just isn't long enough. Even if hopefully I have years left of reading. Smile. Hope snow has melted and it' warmed back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what short stories are for ;)

      There's still a bit of snow, but it's warming up. High Thursday is predicted to be 3e1. Yikes!

      Delete
  7. I think he would be delighted to see all the helpful robots we have these days.
    And some are really cute, too! I saw one at Ingo´s workplace, awww, I wanted to hug that "thing" (it was but a tiny arm and hand, but so sweet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the little robot pets lol Easy care and cute.

      Delete
  8. I read his Foundation series about 40 years ago and really liked it. Something I might re-read one day. I bet this is good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is good, too. I loved the Foundation series. I didn't read the later works written after his death, but I loved the trilogy.

      Delete
  9. Asimov is always good and well worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may have to add this to my reading list!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read this and it was wonderful. I love anything Asimov wrote. I may look for it and give it a second read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of his work is available free online. You can't beat free :)

      https://www.freesfonline.net/authors/Isaac_Asimov.html

      https://openlibrary.org/authors/OL34221A/Isaac_Asimov

      and others. Search for Isaac Asimov online

      Delete