Saturday, January 29, 2022

Tampopo

Tampopo is a 1985 Japanese comedy film. I watched it on HBO Max. You can also watch it via Vimeo:

Tampopo Feature from Joe Medjuck on Vimeo.



Roger Ebert concludes,
And this very, very Japanese movie, which seems to make no effort to communicate to other cultures, is universally funny almost for that reason. Who cannot identify with the search for the perfect noodle? Certainly any American can, in the land of sweet corn festivals, bakeoffs and contests for the world's best chili. This is a very funny movie.
Empire Online says it's "Charming and touching, with lots of sumptuous meals to inspire you to get cooking." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

14 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I don´t go to the cinema, LOL (well, now no one does...).
    Tallest guy from earth in front of me, people munching loud stuff, commenting etc, cinema is hell for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so short the seats are a misery. I sit where no one can be directly in front of me. The flashing lights of surrounding cell phones is what bothers me most.

      Delete
  2. ...the search for the perfect noodle is endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could do perfect noodles, or even get close.

      Delete
  3. Did you like it? The idea of searching for a perfect noodle sounds like a fun adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoyed it. I tend to like the Asian comedies :)

      Delete
  4. Perfect noodle? Nah, but perfect chocolate that would be an adventure

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this in ages. When I did, it was with a big group of Japanese from a Japan-America society meet-up. They laughed at things I didn't quite get from the subtitles but I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to watch with someone who could explain the "in" things I'm sure I missed.

      Delete
  6. Does sound a fun movie.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll give it a miss, I'm not a friend of noodles! Valerie

    ReplyDelete