Friday, January 21, 2022

How to Raise an Elephant

image from Amazon


How to Raise an Elephant is the 21st book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. These are almost soothing in their ability to settle you into the environment with characters you've grown to know and love. They are high on relationships and light on mystery. Because the characters develop over time the books should be read in order. There's a delightful and perfectly cast TV adaptation that for some strange reason lasted only 1 season.

from the back of the book:
Precious Ramotswe loves her dependable old van. Yes, it sometimes takes a bit longer to get going now, but it has always gotten the job done. This time, though, the world -and Charlie- may be asking too much of it. After borrowing the beloved vehicle, he returns it damaged, and, to make matters worse, the interior seems to have acquired an earthy smell that even Precious can't identify.

On addition Mma Ramotswe is confronted by a distant relative, Blessing, who asks for help with an ailing cousin. The help requested is of a distinctively pecuniary nature, which makes both J>L>B> Matekoni and Mma Makutse a little uncomfortable. Still. Mma Ramotswe is confident that through kindness, grace, and logic -and the counsel of her friends and loved ones- the solutions to all these difficulties are there to be discovered.
Publishers Weekly calls it "leisurely" and says, "Series fans will be charmed, as usual..."

22 comments:

  1. ...something that I've never tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have room for an elephant or I'd have a goat ;)

      Delete
  2. An interesting title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about these books. I haven't read any for several years, but I should. Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to forget about them until I run out of stuff to read lol

      Delete
  4. One of my favoruite series ... Precious is a woman you'd like to know (maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great book review. I always enjoy your insight to a read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great series, I love book series where you get to know the characters 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice when good stories and good long-running characters combine.

      Delete
  7. I read the first in that series when it was new (2003). It was a fun read but I never read any more of them.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The further along you get the more character-driven it is and the less they can be called "mysteries" in any sense. My son gave up on them because of that, but I still like them.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I know! I was so upset that the show only lasted one season. They didn't have any of these books at the library here, either. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame :( I think if they'd come out these days some service like Netflix would've adopted them.

      Delete
  9. I loved that series. I also like his "Sunday Philosopher" series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also remember seeing the TV show, but it is nothing like the books. I was sad to see it end. I don't have room for an elephant, since I have two cats (grin)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought the series was remarkably like the books, especially in how well cast and true to the characters it was. I was confused it didn't get another season.

      Yes, I think keeping an elephant would be impossible, and I don't have nearly the space you do lol I can't even keep a goat.

      Delete