Sunday, January 30, 2022

Ida

Ida is a 2013 Polish drama film about a young novice who is preparing to take her vows. She is told that she needs to go visit her aunt, her one remaining relative, before she takes that final step. It is revealed that she was orphaned during WW2, and that her family is Jewish. The movie won many awards, including the 2015 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, becoming the first Polish film to do so. It is a powerful film. I watched it at Tubitv.

trailer:

 

 



The New Yorker calls it a masterpiece. The Guardian calls it "eerily beautiful". Roger Ebert's site gives it their highest 4 star rating. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics concensus score of 96%.

16 comments:

  1. I/m going to look for it. I bet I can get it on my ROKU because I think I get Tubitv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get Tubi on my Roku, but I usually watch Tubi movies on my computer. The searches are easier on my computer...

      Delete
    2. Good to know. I actually like to sit on the couch to watch TV, while my computer chair is NOT that comfortable.

      Delete
    3. My computer chair is a Boston rocker lol I don't have a desk, just one of those little tilt tables.

      Delete
  2. ...life take interesting twists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a story that I would like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was intriguing. And thought-provoking. Understated.

      Delete
  4. Wow it is eerily beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about a black and white drama.

      Delete
  5. I've heard this is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it, but one of my Facebook friends recommended it.

      Delete
  6. I saw this on Netflix (DVD rental) in 2014 and remember it being beautifully done. What a shock to find out you aren't who you think you are as far as your heritage and family. It was a film with a definite atmosphere and style. Really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like an amazing film.

    ReplyDelete