Friday, January 07, 2022

The Blackcoat's Daughter

The Blackcoat's Daughter is a 2015 psychological horror film. It stars Emma Roberts and Kiernan Shipka. I watched it on Netflix. I found it in a list of "best horror on Netflix" a while back.

trailer:



Vulture calls it a "a mind-bendy little number that combines two of horror’s core elements: a girls’ boarding school and demonic possession". IndieWire says, "the movie’s twisty plot and eerie atmosphere makes it deeply unsettling" and calls it "A chilling package of muted performances, disquieting sound design and isolated locations". Roger Ebert's site has a negative review, saying "In spite of some compelling performances and a consistent mood, the film fails to ground any of these aesthetic flourishes in story or emotion." Rotten Tomatoes has a consensus critics score of 72%.

18 comments:

  1. ...not many Rotten Tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost 3/4 of all critics liked it. Checking them now the critics consensus has gone up to 74%.

      Delete
  2. Not big on horror, so this one I'll give a pass to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to like psychological horror.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, not sure if I'm in the mood for a horror today. Horror is piling up outside my window with a good 8 inches of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. January might be a better month for horror than October ;)

      Delete
  4. This is a great movie and one to re-watch. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not so much my cup of tea! Though it sounds well done.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different strokes for different folks :)

      Delete
  6. SO sad Netflix is no use to us! Sounds interesting, very. Would love to see it (but not in German).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wonder which services are available where...

      Delete
  7. I like the sound of this one! Thanks for sharing, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll pass on this but it reminds me of another horror show I saw years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There don't seem to be many new ideas :(

      Delete
    2. Re-boot, Re-make, and endless sequels. It's sad. Not that I don't watch the next Matrix movie or the next superhero movie ;)

      Delete