Monday, January 31, 2022

Ponyo

Ponyo is a 2008 Japanese fantasy film loosely based on (very loosely based, perhaps more accurately "inspired by") The Little Mermaid by Andersen. It is directed by Hayao Miyazaki and animated by Studio Ghibli. It's a pretty film. The voice cast for the English language version I watched is wonderful and includes Tina Fey, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin, Betty White, and Cloris Leachman. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:


Roger Ebert opens with this:
There is a word to describe “Ponyo,” and that word is magical. This poetic, visually breathtaking work by the greatest of all animators has such deep charm that adults and children will both be touched. It’s wonderful and never even seems to try: It unfolds fantastically.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 91%.

14 comments:

  1. One of our favorites along with Totoro

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many actors that I like their work, so this will be a treat for later with tea & a scone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, a scone! I should learn to make those...

      Delete
    2. scones are super easy to make ... :) mind would never win awards for looks but I like. I'll post next week my basic recipe for you :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I look forward to trying it :)

      Delete
  3. They certainly had a great cast of voice characters. Paying homage to Betty White, one of the sweetest, funniest ladies in the world. Heaven certainly has her now and I'm sure she's making everyone up there laugh with her, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *standing in memory* Yes, she'll be much missed here. She was such a bright spot. I've taken to paying attention to actors I've liked that are still around in their 90s and posting on their birthdays on Facebook. Remember Larry Storch? He's a real card and still active. Cool!

      Delete
    2. I am not that familiar with him, but I got to meet Mel Blanc in person when he visited the campus at Missouri Southern, my undergrad school. Blanc mentioned working with Larry Storch (and others) on the Looney Tunes cartoons. Glad to know he's still going strong.

      Delete
    3. I hadn't realized he worked with Mel Blanc. Fun! Storch recently had a birthday and celebrated with video on his Facebook page of him with cake and singing happy birthday. Whoever takes care of his FB page (celebrities hardly ever do that themselves) has such a good spirit :)

      Delete
  4. ...animation sure has changed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds nice. Have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete