Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The Monkey's Paw

The Monkey's Paw is a 1902 short story by W.W. Jacobs. You can read it online here or listen to it read to you at the bottom of this post. It begins,
Part I

Without, the night was cold and wet, but in the small parlour of Laburnum villa the blinds were drawn and the fire burned brightly. Father and son were at chess; the former, who possessed ideas about the game involving radical chances, putting his king into such sharp and unnecessary perils that it even provoked comment from the white-haired old lady knitting placidly by the fire.

"Hark at the wind," said Mr. White, who, having seen a fatal mistake after it was too late, was amiably desirous of preventing his son from seeing it.

"I'm listening," said the latter grimly surveying the board as he stretched out his hand. "Check."

"I should hardly think that he's come tonight, " said his father, with his hand poised over the board.

"Mate," replied the son.

"That's the worst of living so far out," balled Mr. White with sudden and unlooked-for violence; "Of all the beastly, slushy, out of the way places to live in, this is the worst. Path's a bog, and the road's a torrent. I don't know what people are thinking about. I suppose because only two houses in the road are let, they think it doesn't matter."

"Never mind, dear," said his wife soothingly; "perhaps you'll win the next one."

Mr. White looked up sharply, just in time to intercept a knowing glance between mother and son. the words died away on his lips, and he hid a guilty grin in his thin grey beard.

"There he is," said Herbert White as the gate banged to loudly and heavy footsteps came toward the door.

The old man rose with hospitable haste and opening the door, was heard condoling with the new arrival. The new arrival also condoled with himself, so that Mrs. White said, "Tut, tut!" and coughed gently as her husband entered the room followed by a tall, burly man, beady of eye and rubicund of visage.

"Sergeant-Major Morris, " he said, introducing him.

The Sergeant-Major took hands and taking the proffered seat by the fire, watched contentedly as his host got out whiskey and tumblers and stood a small copper kettle on the fire.

At the third glass his eyes got brighter, and he began to talk, the little family circle regarding with eager interest this visitor from distant parts, as he squared his broad shoulders in the chair and spoke of wild scenes and doughty deeds; of wars and plagues and strange peoples.

"Twenty-one years of it," said Mr. White, nodding at his wife and son. "When he went away he was a slip of a youth in the warehouse. Now look at him."

"He don't look to have taken much harm." said Mrs. White politely.

"I'd like to go to India myself," said the old man, just to look around a bit, you know."

"Better where you are," said the Sergeant-Major, shaking his head. He put down the empty glass and sighning softly, shook it again.

"I should like to see those old temples and fakirs and jugglers," said the old man. "what was that that you started telling me the other day about a monkey's paw or something, Morris?"

"Nothing." said the soldier hastily. "Leastways, nothing worth hearing."

"Monkey's paw?" said Mrs. White curiously.

"Well, it's just a bit of what you might call magic, perhaps." said the Sergeant-Major off-handedly.

His three listeners leaned forward eagerly. The visitor absent-mindedly put his empty glass to his lips and then set it down again. His host filled it for him again.

"To look at," said the Sergeant-Major, fumbling in his pocket, "it's just an ordinary little paw, dried to a mummy."

He took something out of his pocket and proffered it. Mrs. White drew back with a grimace, but her son, taking it, examined it curiously.

"And what is there special about it?" inquired Mr. White as he took it from his son, and having examined it, placed it upon the table.

"It had a spell put on it by an old Fakir," said the Sergeant-Major, "a very holy man. He wanted to show that fate ruled people's lives, and that those who interfered with it did so to their sorrow. He put a spell on it so that three separate men could each have three wishes from it."

His manners were so impressive that his hearers were conscious that their light laughter had jarred somewhat.

"Well, why don't you have three, sir?" said Herbert White cleverly.

The soldier regarded him the way that middle age is wont to regard presumptuous youth."I have," he said quietly, and his blotchy face whitened.

"And did you really have the three wishes granted?" asked Mrs. White.

"I did," said the sergeant-major, and his glass tapped against his strong teeth.

"And has anybody else wished?" persisted the old lady.

"The first man had his three wishes. Yes," was the reply, "I don't know what the first two were, but the third was for death. That's how I got the paw."

His tones were so grave that a hush fell upon the group.
...



Please share a post with a drink in it and join the T Stands for Tuesday blogger party hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth.

9 comments:

  1. This is such a good story, and I love your mug. Because of your awesome Halloween mugs, I bought a couple, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...this one slipped pass me somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mug, so perfect for October and Halloween 😁. Wishing you a wonderful week! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:19 PM

    Some of the best coffee in one of THE best mugs!
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy T Day, and thanks for this intriguing story, I will listen to the rest this evening. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have read this lon g ago -- it sounds very familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember reading this story back in college. Wow-usually I am so unaware of these little gems you find. Of course, I can't say I remember much of it off the top of my head. But I do love your Halloween mug. It's great. Hope it was a super T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I'm so late visiting. First I had a power outage that lasted over 19 hours, and now I have a very sick kitty I'm trying to clean up after and nurse back to health. We don't get Peet's coffee here. I'd love to try their dark roast. I adore that mug with the black cat. Certainly meant for Halloween.

    I've read the Monkey's Paw in the past. I was surprised because I don't usually say that! Hope you had a super T Tuesday, dear. Sorry I am so out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Halloween mug. Interesting tale.

    ReplyDelete