Monday, October 18, 2021

Queen of Earth

Queen of Earth is a 2015 psychological thriller. I have trouble distinguishing this film genre from horror, to be honest, so I'm including it as horror this month.

trailer:



Variety says, "Hell is other people — especially the ones who know you best — in Alex Ross Perry's acidly funny and unnerving portrait of a psychological breakdown."

Vulture says it "Mingles Genres and Captures the Details of a Corrosive Friendship" and "the agony, the paranoia, the sheer existential terror of grief becomes sublimated into the very style of the film. Queen of Earth is a psychodrama shot like a horror movie — Persona meets The Shining. Right down to the haunting, minimalist score".

Roger Ebert's site opens with this:
Alex Ross Perry’s “Queen of Earth” is as unsettling as any horror film that you’ll see this year but it so by virtue of its filmmaking and its performances instead of a twisting and turning narrative. Echoing dramas of internal conflict turned into threats of physical danger like “Persona” and “Repulsion,” Perry explores the concept that it is the human mind and its emotional undercurrents that is the most terrifying thing in the world. Anchored by incredible performances from Elisabeth Moss and Katherine Waterston, this is one of the most mesmerizing pictures of the year.
Rotten Tomatoes has a consensus critics score of 94%.

16 comments:

  1. Psychological thrillers are the ones that really scare me as they are always so possible. Repulsion is such a strong word, it almost on its own spits out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you. It's easy to dismiss all the fake blood and monsters, but the psychological thrillers could actually happen. Yikes!

      Delete
  2. You have found some great films. This weekend I watched the 1932 version of the Mummy with Boris Karloff. Those black and white films are definitely more "spooky", even if the ending was a bit of a let down. I can only image how they were in the dark theaters back in that time. Have a great start to the new week. Let's see if Google is now working for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boris Karloff is a treasure, and his Mummy is one we re-watch every year. A classic!

      Delete
  3. I am going to have to look this one up. I can't remember if I have seen it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me so often, even if I look up the Wikipedia entry lol

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. If you try it I hope you like it ;)

      Delete
  5. I don't like the sound of this, so I will pass this time! I've been enjoying a horror film each evening! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This type can be harder to watch than the traditional horror.

      Delete
  6. How in the world did I get so far behind? Playing catch up is hard! This one doesn't sound like something I would want to watch, but thanks for the link, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately I feel like I _stay_ behind, so I understand.

      Delete