Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Magician

The Magician is a 1958 film directed by Ingmar Bergman and starring Max von Sydow, Ingrid Thulin, Gunnar Björnstrand, and Bibi Andersson. Blending elements of psychological drama and horror, the film was distantly inspired by G.K. Chesterton 's play Magic, which Bergman numbered among his favourites (from Wikipedia). It's available on several paid services (if you have Hulu you're in luck), but I can't find it freely available anywhere. You can rent it on YouTube, Amazon Prime, or Apple TV.

trailer:


Moria says,
In The Magician, Bergman’s greatness is his evocation of the characters – the mephistophelean presence of the sickly Max Von Sydow; the cocky Tubal; the androgynous Aman; the haughtily hypocritical ministers.

Bergman’s art is not even necessarily his ability to offer penetrating character analysis but rather to cast actors perfect for the parts and to reveal everything through the dialogue.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

16 comments:

  1. ...I have seen some BBC shows that are based on G.K. Chesterton stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something Himself would like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he can find it free. I know I saw it free but now can't remember where...

      Delete
  3. This looks good. Rather a bit spooky, but good. It's ironic that when I think of G.K. Chesterton, I think of Father Brown mysteries, not scary stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely what he's most popularly known for. When I think of him I connect him with the Inklings for some reason. I even checked just now he he wasn't one of them so I don't know why that's the first thing that comes to mind.

      Delete
  4. Oddly, I thnk I might have seen ths long ago. Not sure. Bergman is a strange fellow, eh? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a director I keep an eye out for.

      Delete
  5. I've seen this film and enjoyed it. Have a great da, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched this movie not too long ago. Bergman is an odd person which lends to he great performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He made some great films. I like some of the actors he uses a lot, too.

      Delete
  8. I should think this is a good one to watch.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I wish it were more readily available.

      Delete