Sunday, April 28, 2019

Gregory's Girl

Gregory's Girl is a 1980 British romantic comedy/coming-of-age film, neither of which are genres I tend to like. It's a sweet film, well-respected and positively reviewed, if you like that kind of thing. (The video embedded below seemed to me to run fast, so I slowed it down a notch in the settings.)



Empire Online gives it 4 out of 5 stars and says,
Amid the gentle frippery, Gregory's Girl nails the glorious pains and heartfelt highs of adolescence better than many films with more serious centres. Tapping into universal dating rituals — getting up the nerve to ask someone out, dressing up for a date, waiting for the date to arrive — the playing out of Gregory's infatuation may be comic but it is truthful.
Roger Ebert calls it "a charming, innocent, very funny little movie about the weird kid." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 93%.

14 comments:

  1. "'Spect I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wouldn't have watched it, but I had it bookmarked for some reason and it did get great reviews.

      Delete
  2. Probably not something I would tend to watch, but thanks for showing it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel the need to broaden my horizons ;) and this was a satisfying experience with that in mind.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was sweet, wasn't it :) I'm glad I watched it.

      Delete
  4. Haven't even heard of this one. Not sure it is the top of my to see list though. I did get to see the new Avengers movie yesterday and I highly recommend it to you as I know you like those kind of films. We went to a small local theatre that didn't pre-sell tickets, and went for the first morning showing. The theater was still about 80% full. But when you get a chance, you need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I saw this one, as I tend to dismiss coming of age films and romances. This was sweet.

      We're planning on seeing Endgame next Thursday night. I'm excited about it!

      Delete
  5. i have not heard of this one-but is something I would like for sure-thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not my usual fare but since you liked it I will save it to watch later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I avoid both those film genres like the plague lol, but this one is sweetly appealing :)

      Delete
  7. I'm going to watch this, thank you!

    ReplyDelete