Monday, November 12, 2018

Blindsight

photo from Wikipedia

Blindsight is a 2006 science fiction novel by Peter Watts. You can read it online here. From Wikipedia:
The novel follows a crew of astronauts sent out as the third wave, following two series of probes, to investigate a trans-Neptunian Kuiper belt comet dubbed 'Burns-Caulfield' that has been found to be transmitting an unidentified radio signal to an as-yet unknown destination elsewhere in the solar system, followed by their subsequent first contact. The novel explores questions of identity, consciousness, free will, artificial intelligence, neurology, game theory as well as evolution and biology.
favorite quote:
There's no such thing as survival of the fittest. Survival of the most adequate, maybe. It doesn't matter whether a solution's optimal. All that matters is whether it beats the alternatives.
*******

Elizabeth Bear has an appreciation at Tor that begins, "It’s my opinion that Peter Watts’s Blindsight is the best hard science fiction novel of the first decade of this millennium". Kirkus Reviews calls it "a searching, disconcerting, challenging, sometimes piercing inquisition". SF Site says it's "a brilliant book".

Eyrie says, "This is solid speculative fiction with high stakes, an unflinching look at possibly very different forms of life, and a thought-provoking contribution to an ongoing discussion in SF about the nature of intelligent life."

8 comments:

  1. So many books and movies. No time to read or watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so _many_! I do have time for it, but I've always had time for books and movies. It's housecleaning I've never had time for ;)

      Delete
  2. Once I am through with T Tuesday, I'm coming back to read this one. It sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. I'm really not a good judge of the science part of science fiction ;0

      Delete
  3. Hmm. I haven't read much sci fi but watch a lot of it on tv or as movies. I really think I must try some, someday. And I just noticed your comment to CJ. I know what you mean about the house cleaning. I HAD to do some this weekend, with the 2 dogs it had gotten pretty bad. I had a new fur carpet over most of the house. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short stories is the best place to start with science fiction, I think. There are so many of them, and so many are available online that it makes it easy to stick a toe in :)

      Cleaning, alas lol I was good -so good- when the kids were little, but now it seems when I do it it's just all to do over again lol. I've grown bad about putting it off.

      Delete
  4. Well, you didn't say if you liked it or not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find reading long works online not the easiest experience for some reason, so that impacts my impressions. Yes, though, I did like this one. :)

      Delete