Monday, March 25, 2013

The Once Upon a Time Challenge


Stainless Steel Droppings is hosting a fantasy challenge, and I've decided to participate. I'm a fan of fairy tales from way back, and there's a lot of appeal for me in this challenge.

I'd really like to do all the quests. We'll see. If I do Quest the Third, my choices for books will most likely be
Fairy Tale:
  • Ralph Manheim's translation of the Grimm tales
Folklore:
Fantasy:
  • The Island of the Day Before, by Umberto Eco
Mythology:
and, since I have read Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, I will watch a filmed version.

For the Short Story Quest I'll find stories online:
The Bolt Tightener
Town's End
The Life and Deaths of Rachel Long
The Mouse Whisperer
The Quest On Screen is gonna be easy, because I do those anyway:
Alice, or the Last Escapade
Angel's Egg
Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain
Krabat: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Jabberwocky
Zvenigora
Fire and Ice
Black Orpheus
Beauty and the Beast (1946)
What fun!

3 comments:

  1. Yippie!!!! Only if the weather started to feel like spring. Happy reading and watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great list! Can't go wrong with the Brothers Grimm. I'll look forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, tbm, i need spring!

    cheryl, thx for commenting. :) i love the brothers grimm but haven't read that translation. i'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete