Thursday, March 07, 2013

Shoulder Pads


Each day, I wear a seasonally appropriate outfit. When I take it off I put it on the end of the clothes rod in my closet. The next day I get a seasonally appropriate outfit off the other end of the clothes rod. It's not exactly a thoughtful approach to a put-together wardrobe. I'm trying to be more conscious of my clothes just to avoid looking old, dowdy and like I should be living in The Grandmother's senior living apartment building.

But sometimes I realize how much I'm failing.

I recently read an article about the shoulder pad fad from the '80s and realized I had on a top with shoulder pads! When I finished laughing, I went through my closet and either took shoulder pads out or -when that wouldn't work- put those clothes in a donate bag. I'm thinking a local theater group could use my wardrobe to provide an authentic period look if they ever do an 80's play.

Sheesh!

On the other hand, Wikipedia says shoulder pads are back, so maybe I acted too quickly?

No? I didn't think so.

The picture at the top of the post is scattered all over the internet, and I didn't see a photo credit for it.

4 comments:

  1. No, you didn't. ;-) Whether or not shoulder pads are fashionable, it's best to avoid them.

    (Then again, I base my fashion decisions upon what's at the top of the shirts and pants piles in the closet, so what do I know?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, alice, that "what's at the top" system of wardrobe selection sounds like my own. i was hoping that reading some of the fashion blogs would help me, but i'm thinkin' i may be beyond hope lol

    i wore 70's plaid pants through the 80's without thinking a thing of it. i need to start thinking, i think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I go to something important, my daughter dresses me -- that way I don't have to think. I just put on what she tells me to wear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, daughters are good to have around, aren't they! mine has moved out, though, so she's not as handy as she used to be. she did go shopping with me yesterday, tho. :)

    ReplyDelete