Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Committed to the Seven Summits

I'm gonna do it! Yes! I have found a way for me to experience these mountains in spite of being too poor and too out of shape to begin the process.

The virtual seven summits experience, beginning with Mount Kilimanjaro:


from google:
with Google Maps you can instantly transport yourself to the top of these peaks and enjoy the sights without all of the avalanches, rock slides, crevasses, and dangers from altitude and weather that mountaineers face.
Just like being there! Well, kinda like being there. At any rate, it's as close as I'll ever get, so I'm gonna enjoy my trip.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Randolph Scott!
    RANDOLPH SCOTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sister who is a mountaineer. She loves to walk ridges, where she has a view in both direction. Looks to me like a potential FALL in both directions, and nothing to hold on to. I stay on the ground, constantly worried.

    Mountains look smashing. From the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty neat. I like being adventurous but not sure I'll climb some of these in real life. This might be the best solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the real thing does look dangerous to me. and cold! i'd rather take a cheaper vacation to a beach in the hot summertime.

    but the google maps pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiked some mountains in Rocky Mountain National Park the peaks were in the 11,000 feet range. I can't imagine hike to 20,000 feet 11,000 was so much more strenuous than sea level and I'm in pretty good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bob, i like hiking and climbing hills. mountains don't appeal to my risk-averse nature. much too dangerous

    ReplyDelete