Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Komodo Dragon Coffee


I'm not a fan of Starbucks coffee as a rule, but there are always exceptions, and The Daughter bought us this hoping it would be one of those exceptions. It is. The Komodo Dragon Blend is a dark, full-bodied coffee that we enjoy. Usually there's something about the Starbucks coffees that tastes burned to me, but I do like this one.

The cup and saucer were a gift from The Younger Son, bought at the late and sadly lamented Bojo's Antique Mall. I think it's perfect for coffee. Something about the color and pattern just begs me to have a warm-up. It's a Franciscan pattern named Country Craft, Russet Brown.

This pattern has been discontinued, but then most of the Franciscan patterns have been. In 1979 the company sold off its various lines. The Franciscan Ceramics division went to Wedgwood, which closed down that division and discontinued all the patterns except Desert Rose, Apple, and Fresh Fruit. Those patterns were transferred to their Johnson Brothers division. Then in 1986 Wedgwood was acquired by Waterford. In 2009, Waterford Wedgwood (including the Johnson Brothers division) was taken over by some private equity firm that moved production to China. Sad, but true. As I understand it, only Desert Rose and Apple are still in production from the Franciscan division.

5 comments:

  1. Not only did I get to enjoy a fine cup of coffee with you this morning, I also got a lovely history lesson. What a great way to start the day.

    It's sad that the Franciscan china patterns are all gone except for a couple and the company has been absorbed by another Asian company. I really enjoyed reading about the tiles and unique ceramics, too.

    Before I forget, I would love to add your blog address to my left sidebar, so I can know when you post to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS, forgot to mention that yes, the spoon rest is shaped like a tea pot. I have two of them and they have different images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tea set you have. The colors are wonderful! Please drop by for tea with me as well. :)
    http://www.halleshobbies.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bleubeard and Elizabeth, franciscan had such pretty patterns. it is sad :(

    thx for adding me to your sidebar. sweet! :)

    i thought the shape of that spoon rest looked familiar. i've not seen another one. we got it years and years ago to go with the tea pot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. halle, i love your blog description: "A peek at my eclectic life". "eclectic" is such an enlivening thing, i think! an eclectic life is never boring. :)

    ReplyDelete