Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Paper Moon

The Paper Moon is 9th in the Inspector Montalbano mystery book series by Andrea Camilleri. I discovered these accidentally, picking up a couple in my favorite used book store, never having heard of the author. I get such a kick out of them that now I buy them whenever I see them used and will even buy them new if I run out of used finds.

There are 2 film mentions:

first: "The rules of the game. Wasn't there a play of the same name by the above-mentioned Pirandello?" I looked up Luigi Piradello, and he wrote a play with a title that's translated The Game of Roles.
second: a mention of Rear Window

from the back of the book:
The latest installment of the popular mystery series finds the moody Inspector Montalbano further beset by the existential questions that have been plaguing him of late. But he doesn't have much time to wax philosophical before the gruesome murder of a man - shot at point-blank range in the face with his pants down - commands his attention. Add two evasive, beautiful women as prime suspects, some dirty cocaine, mysterious computer codes, and a series of threatening letters, and things soon get very complicated at the police headquarters in Vigàta.

The Guardian calls Montalbano "the best company in crime fiction today."

I've read these:

1. The Shape of Water
2. The Terra-Cotta Dog
5. Excursion to Tindari
6. The Smell of Night

No comments:

Post a Comment