Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

The Hound of the Baskervilles is a 1959 Hammer Films adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes story. This version stars Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

from GoogleVideo:


Variety praises Cushing, saying he "looks, talks and behaves in precisely the way approved by the Sherlock Holmes Society." The New York Times calls it "a garish excuse for what should he a fog-wreathed and ghost-haunted vehicle for another excursion of Sherlock Holmes." Ferdy on Films says "This is the best film of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s book. In fact, it’s better than the book." Classic-Horror.com calls it "charming".

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:43 AM

    I like Cushing. I like Holmes. I like fog-shrouded English manors. I _hated_ this movie. Always thought it was almost a parody.

    Just me.

    A Pal

    ReplyDelete