Monday, July 11, 2022

The She-Wolf

The She-Wolf is a short Story by Saki (H.H. Munro). You can read it online here or here or have it read to you at the bottom of this post. It begins,
Leonard Bilsiter was one of those people who have failed to find this world attractive or interesting, and who have sought compensation in an "unseen world" of their own experience or imagination - or invention. Children do that sort of thing successfully, but children are content to convince themselves, and do not vulgarise their beliefs by trying to convince other people. Leonard Bilsiter's beliefs were for "the few," that is to say, anyone who would listen to him.

His dabblings in the unseen might not have carried him beyond the customary platitudes of the drawing-room visionary if accident had not reinforced his stock-in-trade of mystical lore. In company with a friend, who was interested in a Ural mining concern, he had made a trip across Eastern Europe at a moment when the great Russian railway strike was developing from a threat to a reality; its outbreak caught him on the return journey, somewhere on the further side of Perm, and it was while waiting for a couple of days at a wayside station in a state of suspended locomotion that he made the acquaintance of a dealer in harness and metalware, who profitably whiled away the tedium of the long halt by initiating his English travelling companion in a fragmentary system of folk-lore that he had picked up from Trans-Baikal traders and natives. Leonard returned to his home circle garrulous about his Russian strike experiences, but oppressively reticent about certain dark mysteries, which he alluded to under the resounding title of Siberian Magic. The reticence wore off in a week or two under the influence of an entire lack of general curiosity, and Leonard began to make more detailed allusions to the enormous powers which this new esoteric force, to use his own description of it, conferred on the initiated few who knew how to wield it. His aunt, Cecilia Hoops, who loved sensation perhaps rather better than she loved the truth, gave him as clamorous an advertisement as anyone could wish for by retailing an account of how he had turned a vegetable marrow into a wood pigeon before her very eyes. As a manifestation of the possession of supernatural powers, the story was discounted in some quarters by the respect accorded to Mrs. Hoops' powers of imagination.

However...

*******



17 comments:

  1. ...we often need an escape from the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of reading short stories. I did teach creative writing as part of my teaching practice!
    I'm reading #23 in the series by Donna Leon. I like going deep!
    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read short stories when I was in school but switched completely to novels and stayed with them 'til the last couple of years. I've rediscovered short stories :) That said, I love Donna Leon and have 2 of hers in my tbr stack :)

      Delete
  3. Nope -- I'm just not a short story fan. I'll pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I've come back to them after being novels-only for decades.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:58 AM

    I’m not so sure. Thank you for sharing. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are times I enjoy short stories, but this day isn't one of them. Not that I don't want to read it, I just have no TIME to read or listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh I love short stories. I will check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. an entertaining enough story. Gaslighting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like Trump to have the tables turned on him like that lol

      Delete
  8. Very intriguing. I'm in the middle of too many reading projects so I can't stop for this.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read as much as I used to...

      Delete
  9. I love short stories and full novels too, depends on my mood and the time I have to enjoy them 😊. I hope you are keeping well and many apologies that I haven't visited you, what with having a terrible cold and then afterwards having friends over (with decorating to finish and cleaning to do before their arrival) I didn't find any time for blogging. Take care and sending you happy wishes for a wonderful week! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keeping tabs ;) Back when people called each other on the phone my mother sometimes said, "I'm counting calls, and you're behind" lol! I'm not counting comments :)

      Delete