Friday, July 29, 2022

North by Northwest

North by Northwest is a 1959 thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, and James Mason. This isn't my favorite Hitchcock by any means, but I watched it again for James Mason. Also in this are Leo G. Carroll, Martin Landau, and Edward Platt. I saw it on HBO Max.

trailer:



Film Site opens with this: "North by Northwest (1959) is a suspenseful, classic Alfred Hitchcock caper thriller. The box-office hit film is one of the most entertaining movies ever made and one of Hitchcock's most famous suspense/mystery stories in his entire career." The New Yorker has a positive review from the time of the film's release.

The Hollywood Reporter concludes a review from 1959 by saying, "This film is pure entertainment." Deep Focus Review has an interesting article that opens with this: "North by Northwest distills Alfred Hitchcock’s obsessions, techniques, and themes into a singular, deliriously entertaining form." It's listed in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Buy. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 98%.


(I keep randomly getting "you've commented on too many posts today; try again tomorrow" flags when I try to leave a comment on some blog posts. Sometimes it accepts my comments but not always. If there's a work-around I don't know about it.)

18 comments:

  1. Not my favorite either, but it's still good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hitchcock wasn't capable of "bad".

      Delete
  2. ...i enjoy Alfred Hitchcock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this last winter during an Alfred Hitchcock phase I was in , as I had never seen it, and I really liked it. But who climbs Mount Rushmore in those heels? Have a great FRiday and weekend Nita. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my all-time favorites. Not my fave Hitchcock either, but up there with the others! I get that same note. Sometimes I try several hours later and I can get the comment through. I just leave the tabs open and come back to them. But really.... who cares? (A lot of times I might miss a few days and then I'm catching up on loads of posts and that's when it pops. I did send blogger a little nastygram on the feedback link but of course you never hear back from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaving the tab open is what I do, too. I just got that note on my first 2 comments today, and those were replies to comments on my own posts. There's no rhyme or reason to it for me.

      Delete
  5. Hitchcock is fabulous, worth watching! I hope you've had a lovely week and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lost of people are having this trouble, including me. I change browsers and it works. Some weird thing with blogger. I do love this film. We have it in our collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a problem seems widespread you'd think they'd prioritize it, but I haven't reported it so can't really complain.

      Delete
  7. One of my favorites, Hitchcock loved to put the regular guy in the role of hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitchcock made so many wonderful movies.

      Delete
  8. New to me, call me old-fashioned - I prefer this to what I "saw" - not "watched" yesterday (I have internet on the left and TV on the right monitor).
    Will Smith, whom I like but oh, those never-ending special effect-scenes... booooring! Too loud, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will Smith is still in the news -in the news again?- for that Oscar slap. I'm tired of hearing about it.

      Delete
  9. I have seen part of this before, but never all of it. I like Gary Cooper, and the scene where he outruns the airplane or car. Guess I didn't pay close attention even though it was the only part of SORT OF remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often don't remember much about movies years later.

      Delete