Saturday, July 02, 2022

Godzilla (1998)

Godzilla is a 1998 monster movie, the first in the Godzilla franchise to be a Hollywood production. It's directed by Roland Emmerich and stars Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno (I love Jean Reno). It got dreadful reviews, absolutely dreadful, and I knew that before I started watching it. Emmerich "won" a Golden Raspberry for Worst Director. On the other hand, it won a Saturn Award for Special Effects. I liked it. It was great fun, with just the right amount of light personal touches. I thought the worst part by far was the score. I watched it on Netflix.

trailer:

16 comments:

  1. I don't remember the whole movie but I do remember them using Zeppelin's Kashmir in the score. In movies anything that makes it memorable is a plus and adds to the success of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why this one was such a failure :(

      Delete
  2. I love the Godzilla movies. I saw a meme once that said if you watch the movie backwards, the earth is helped by a benevolent sea creature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some of them, Godzilla _does_ help the earth ;) even forwards.

      Delete
  3. ...I missed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I. My younger son clued me in.

      Delete
  4. I honestly can't remember if I have seen this one. Have seen a few Godzilla movies. The guy peeking upwards from the sea of black umbrellas looked very familiar and the not letting you see Godzilla for a long time rang a quiet bell--LOL! I'd never re-watch a Godzilla movie, though, to be honest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of Godzilla movies, and some are more rewatchable than others. We re-watch the original fairly often.

      Delete
  5. I think I remember this one and it was indeed very bad. But I remember enjoying it because it WAS so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! There's a place for movies like that.

      Delete
  6. These more recent Godzilla movies are on my to see list one day. The hubby doesn't want to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. M. love all Godzilla movies. Even the stupid ones. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to be said for the stupid ones lol Fun!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. The original film certainly is, and the character itself, but I have my doubts about this particular movie ;)

      Delete