Saturday, July 09, 2022

Black Robe

Black Robe is a 1991 historical drama film. According to Wikipedia:
Set in New France in 1634 (in the period of conflicts known as the Beaver Wars), the film begins in the settlement that will one day become Quebec City. Jesuit missionaries are trying to encourage the local Algonquin Indians to embrace Christianity, with thus far only limited results. Samuel de Champlain, founder of the settlement, sends Father LaForgue, a young Jesuit priest, to found a Catholic mission in a distant Huron village. With winter approaching, the journey will be difficult and cover as much as 1500 miles...
I watched it on Amazon Prime. You can watch it free on Tubi.

trailer:



Roger Ebert describes it this way:
The film, a bleak and dour affair that seems filmed mostly under gray, glowering skies, stars Lothaire Bluteau in the central role of young Father Laforgue. Bluteau’s name may not ring a bell, but if you saw "Jesus of Montreal" you will recognize him immediately as the young actor who played the title role, gaunt and intense. In this film, he undertakes a long and arduous journey in winter, guided by the Algonquins, threatened by the Iroquois. It is a torturous experience, and "Black Robe" visualizes it in one of the most realistic depictions of Indian life I have seen.
Spritiuality and Practice calls it "A spiritual classic and a compelling tale of adventure in the wilderness of 17th century Canada." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 92%.

18 comments:

  1. ...not to be confused with the Long Black Veil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting. I'm adding this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in that geographical area but I'm not sure if this is the one for me or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do get great images of the scenery in the area.

      Delete
  4. This looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks interesting! I will add it to my list. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a striking film. You can almost feel what it must've been like.

      Delete
  6. Sounds very interesting.
    Times kinda have not changed much, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People still trying to force their religion on us :(

      Delete
  7. Given the times & the expected visit from The Pope to formally apologize to our Indigenous peoples across Canada, this movie would not/should not get a lot of air time at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear it's historically accurate. It might make good fodder for discussion.

      Delete
  8. I think I'll pass, since there are so many other things I really WANT to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"ve forgotten how I came across this one, but a cold-weather movie did me good ;)

      Delete
  9. Wow, the views and scenery look spectacular 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Spectacular" is the perfect word. You can _feel_ it!

      Delete