Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Shoot the Piano Player

Shoot the Piano Player is a 1960 French New Wave crime film directed by François Truffaut. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



AV Club opens its positive review with this:
Over the course of 81 of the briskest minutes in cinema, François Truffaut's Shoot The Piano Player contains flashbacks, jump-cuts, weird superimpositions, tender love scenes, broad slapstick, a snowbound shootout with feckless gangsters, a sing-along in a Parisian piano bar, and countless nods to American noirs and genre films. Truffaut himself claimed that his exhilarating second feature could be heard as a love story and viewed as a gangster noir, though it's a thrill to witness these aural and visual elements smashed together.
Senses of Cinema calls it "a cheerfully ramshackle affair, alternately light and serious, a playful film". Empire Online gives it 5 out of 5 stars and concludes by saying it is "A superb combination of genre movie and Truffaut's special brand of perfectly observed, humanist detail." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 91%. It's listed in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

14 comments:

  1. ...the piano player should be the last person to shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard of this, but I realized it was when I was surfing for something to watch. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's interesting. There's so much there, especially considering how short a film it is. That director's movies The 400 Blows and Jules and Jim are also on HBO Max, and I liked both of those, too. He co-starred in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this since college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never even heard of it 'til I got this book.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still tryinta figure out what French New Wave is...

      Delete
  5. Interesting. The world looks so different in B/W. And they all seem so "polite".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B&W does give a different "feel", doesn't it?!

      Delete
  6. For years this was our favorite film, and we would go to see it whenever it was screened (such as at college film series in the days before personal film players became available). I especially love the song in the bar — such ARGOT! I think it’s called “framboise.”

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was new to me, but I see how it could become a favorite. It was fun to watch :)

      Delete
  7. It was certainly unusual, at least the nearly 2 minutes of the trailer that I watched.

    ReplyDelete